Who has a megger???

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I do not have a megger. It is my understanding that this would be a helpful instrument to troubleshoot AFCI circuit problems. Given the short peroid of time that I have been installing the combo afci's and the numerous problems I am encountering it seems like I should buy one. Problem is i have never used one and have no idea what to look for or why.

So...to the guys in my area, Massachusetts, who has one? Who would be willing to have me come out on a troubleshooting call with them to show me the megger in action? I would come for free and I will help you out that day however I can.

Or...Who would be willing to bring their megger and knowledge to one of my jobs to show me how it works and how to use it? I will pay for your time of course.

I currntly have two jobs (Framingham & Worcester) with intermittently tripping AFCI's that I have yet to correct.

PM me with or for details or post any useful info here.

Scott

electricalperson

i own a MJ159 from megger. its a handcrank with selectable voltage from 100 to 1000 and a ohm scale to 5000 ohms. the problem with using a megger to find out why an AFCI breaker is tripping is that it wont pick up a series fault. thats the fault the new combo breakers find. it only works with paralell faults. the MJ159 cost me about 990 dollars. fluke makes a decent insulation tester also. if you buy a insulation tester get the book "a stitch in time" to go with it. using a megger is pretty simple when testing cable. hook the red lead (earth or positive) to ground or to another wire and hook the black (negative or line) to the wire you want to test. put the megger on the 1000 volt scale to test romex since its rated for 600 volts. a good piece of romex will show an infinite scale but anything over 100 megaohms is good. if you have an analog megger you can see the needle jump when it arcs.

im sure you can hook a load (heat gun or drill) up to a suspected cable with a series arc and see if that trips the AFCI.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
electricalperson said:
the problem with using a megger to find out why an AFCI breaker is tripping is that it wont pick up a series fault.
This may sound like I stupid question, but I excel at asking those: wouldn't a series arc be audible when using a megger?

electricalperson

georgestolz said:
This may sound like I stupid question, but I excel at asking those: wouldn't a series arc be audible when using a megger?
if you can hear it through the walls then it might be possible. thats a pretty good idea actually. never thought of that. wonder if a stethoscope could be used to help hear it. might look a little silly but it could work

KentAT

I currently use an Megger BMM2500 Insulation Multimeter after using a hand crank for several years. Won't ever go back. Now I wish I bought the Fluke 1587 insulation tester/DMM instead (around $500). The Fluke has a remote test button on the red probe - no need to clamp it on in order to free up a hand to push the "test" button on the unit.

It especially makes megging multi-conductor cables go quickly when doing wire-to-wire tests before conductor termination.

electricalperson

KentAT said:
I currently use an Megger BMM2500 Insulation Multimeter after using a hand crank for several years. Won't ever go back. Now I wish I bought the Fluke 1587 insulation tester/DMM instead (around $500). The Fluke has a remote test button on the red probe - no need to clamp it on in order to free up a hand to push the "test" button on the unit.

It especially makes megging multi-conductor cables go quickly when doing wire-to-wire tests before conductor termination.
i also own the fluke insulation tester. i dont use it that much since i like using the hand crank better. this insulation tester is very high quality and its pretty nice. http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Insulation-Tester-MegOhms-GigOhms/dp/B000X4O9WI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1206571514&sr=8-1

76nemo

electricalperson said:
i also own the fluke insulation tester. i dont use it that much since i like using the hand crank better. this insulation tester is very high quality and its pretty nice. http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Insulation-Tester-MegOhms-GigOhms/dp/B000X4O9WI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1206571514&sr=8-1

I have the 1507 EP which also has PI/DAR measurement. It beats the hell out of walking away to do the math in your head. If you work maintenance, these are two measurements often recorded and very useful over time.

I have NEVER used a hand crank if that may prove me green:grin: I have Fluke's 1520 and 1507. Both great tools!!!!!!!!!!!!

electricalperson

76nemo said:
I have the 1507 EP which also has PI/DAR measurement. It beats the hell out of walking away to do the math in your head. If you work maintenance, these are two measurements often recorded and very useful over time.

I have NEVER used a hand crank if that may prove me green:grin: I have Fluke's 1520 and 1507. Both great tools!!!!!!!!!!!!
some reason theres a few things i like to do that are concidered out dated i guess. one is a hand crank megger and the other is a manual slug buster. get those hydraulic hole punchers away from me! also i like splitbolts and rubber tape

iwire

Staff member
electricalperson said:
a hand crank megger and the other is a manual slug buster. get those hydraulic hole punchers away from me! also i like splitbolts and rubber tape

Yeah, the 1960s where cool. :grin:

electricalperson

iwire said:
Yeah, the 1960s where cool. :grin:
i was born in the 80s so i didnt see much of the 60s :) i dont mind doing things in a more difficult way. the old ways worked just as good as the new ways of doing things. i dont mind using a manual punch or a hand crank. just takes a little longer and only requires a little elbow grease. my boss owns a hydraulic hole punch and i refuse to use it. the reason why is that it costs 800 dollars and if it breaks it shoots oil all over the place and ill get yelled at.

iwire

Staff member
electricalperson said:
i dont mind doing things in a more difficult way.

As a Foreman I have a problem with the guys doing things in a more difficult way.

the old ways worked just as good as the new ways of doing things.

A hydraulic punch works as well as the 'old way' and faster.

A Polaris connector works better then split bolts and it's faster.

To each their own .............. if they work for them self. :)

76nemo

Anyone else???

Anyone else???

Anyone else use Fluke's line of insulation testers? The ol' king, the 1520, or the the new 15** series??? I love them, any other opinions????

jdsmith

76nemo said:
Anyone else use Fluke's line of insulation testers? The ol' king, the 1520, or the the new 15** series??? I love them, any other opinions????

I bought the 1587 a while back because I didn't have time to wait to order one and that was the only one in stock. I would probably prefer to have the 1507 or the other non-DMM unit because of the PI and DAR calculation. Strangely enough, I don't know if I've ever used the test lead with the button on the probe, I usually use a pair of grabby clips on the end of my test leads. I've probably used the DMM features a couple times, and I know it's saved me carrying a duplicate meter on a few occasions. It's always worked fine but I haven't really used it enough to give it a thorough review. Probably had it 6-8 months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.