Who has a megger???

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

jdsmith said:
I bought the 1587 a while back because I didn't have time to wait to order one and that was the only one in stock. I would probably prefer to have the 1507 or the other non-DMM unit because of the PI and DAR calculation. Strangely enough, I don't know if I've ever used the test lead with the button on the probe, I usually use a pair of grabby clips on the end of my test leads. I've probably used the DMM features a couple times, and I know it's saved me carrying a duplicate meter on a few occasions. It's always worked fine but I haven't really used it enough to give it a thorough review. Probably had it 6-8 months now.

That's the problem with marketing. It seems the 1587 is the king of the hill, and may be labeled rightly so as a sole meter. It is a full fledged DMM with the low-pass feature for working with VFD's, it has temp. function as well, but it is more suited as an "one and all" meter. I have had alot of people complain that the the 1587 wasn't exactly the top of the line. The 1587 is the top of the line as far as a "all in one" maintenance meter, it does not have the "Compare" feature, or the PI/DAR function, nor the low-ohm bond measurement. The 1587 may be the ultimate maintenance DMM, but it is a DMM, not engineered as a Megohmeter.

As we have all once said,.. "You can't have it all."

Last edited:

ohm

Careful with a megger!

Careful with a megger!

I have an electronic one that can test at 500V & 100V. I'ts useful if all the electronics are removed from the circuit as it will fry them in a heartbeat. I suspect it would also do a number on AFCI's & GFCI's as well.

brian john

Every electrician in my company has at least one megger, I teach a class to all of them on using a megger , on job sites I'll teach any electrician that wants to learn, you'd might be surprised (or upset) by the large number that could care less.

Myself I carry 5 meggers a small 1000 VDC go no go tester (cause it fits in my brief case), a 250VDC-5000VDC battery/AC, A 250VDC-1000 VDC hand crank, a 50VDC-1000VDC battery, a 10VDC-100VDC battery.

IMO every service electrician should own one, every project should have one on site. Use it read about it, ask questions and you shall learn.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I just bought a 1507 a little while back, it seems like a very nice tool so far. I'm new to meggering, so I still don't understand all the features. I'm kind of teaching myself with the help of this forum. A big thanks to Marc and Brian! Searching some of their old posts has answered a lot of my questions!

satcom

I can remember as a kid, every electrician had a megger, and they tested the wiring of new homes before they turned on any circuit, then with production wiring, and less skilled guys, roughing homes, the practice just dropped, the craftsmanship went down with production work, but was maintained with some custom work. Should be go back to more testing, and raise the quality of work, or would the cost prevent it?

Last edited:

76nemo

Cow said:
I just bought a 1507 a little while back, it seems like a very nice tool so far. I'm new to meggering, so I still don't understand all the features. I'm kind of teaching myself with the help of this forum. A big thanks to Marc and Brian! Searching some of their old posts has answered a lot of my questions!

What features do you not understand Cow?

peter d

electricalperson said:
my boss owns a hydraulic hole punch and i refuse to use it. the reason why is that it costs 800 dollars and if it breaks it shoots oil all over the place and ill get yelled at.

:confused:

Is this punch set a piece of junk? Or are you just afraid that it will leak oil?

If you take care of a hydraulic punch set and do the required maintenance, it will last a long time. If the thing is leaking oil it needs to be fixed.

Either way it sounds like you work for a moron.

charlie tuna

if you want to be a contractor there are some tools that must have -- the meggar is one of them. to properly troubleshoot a motor be it a 1/2 hp pool pump or a 100 hp compressor motor--without a meggar you are just guessing. i know there are many contractors who do not own one -- and many questions come up on this form about problems concerning , really, basic electrical problems that people can't give their customer a true answer because they don't own the equipment to diagnose things both this "contractor" or customer can see ! a meggar and some type of data recorder should be available when needed...

electricalperson

peter d said:
:confused:

Is this punch set a piece of junk? Or are you just afraid that it will leak oil?

If you take care of a hydraulic punch set and do the required maintenance, it will last a long time. If the thing is leaking oil it needs to be fixed.

Either way it sounds like you work for a moron.
the ones we have are covered in oil. i dont want to use them because im afraid they will leak oil all over me or the floor and create a large mess.

HighWirey

brian john said:
Every electrician in my company has at least one megger, I teach a class to all of them on using a megger , on job sites I'll teach any electrician that wants to learn, you'd might be surprised (or upset) by the large number that could care less.

Brian,

When I first started in the trade (1969) I thought meggering was a joke. It did not hit home until I saw a burned co-worker lying dead in front of a 480 panel that he had just energized. Sort of brought me home . . . Wake up men.

Best Wishes Everyone

electricalperson

HighWirey said:
Brian,

When I first started in the trade (1969) I thought meggering was a joke. It did not hit home until I saw a burned co-worker lying dead in front of a 480 panel that he had just energized. Sort of brought me home . . . Wake up men.

Best Wishes Everyone
that made me upset a little. must of been horrible. ;(. any panel i personally put up and any feeder i personally pull in i megger. doesnt matter what anyone says at work. its your life thats on the line. takes 5 minutes or so to test a feeder and equipment.

charlie tuna

guess what--the ones you have can be repaired for a few dollars to where you can use it without worrying about making a mess.. it's all about a few "O" rings!

electricalperson

charlie tuna said:
guess what--the ones you have can be repaired for a few dollars to where you can use it without worrying about making a mess.. it's all about a few "O" rings!
some reason i get more satisfaction from a job well done when i use a manual punch. if i work hard at something and it comes out great i feel better about the job than if i done it with less effort. just how i feel. those hydraulic punches are great when you dont need to wear a tyvek suit because of them. plus they cost 1000+ dollars for them. right now i cant afford one

76nemo

HighWirey said:
Brian,

Best Wishes Everyone

People pick on me with my thoughts on arc flash. I don't see it funny at all. It's that one small mistake that can take your life.

Was he wearing a t-shirt and jeans HW? I get picked on alot about this. I say, "**** you"! 95% of the time, it will not be your fault. A vote of confidence doesn't stretch as far as I can spit.

You can make me the center of attention, and poke all the fun you want at me. If I am in the middle of a burst/flash, I'll be going home to a cold beer, you might be wishing you said "I love you", more often.

I just can't seem to get that point across to everyone.

Laugh all you want, I have a family to come home to.

growler

charlie tuna said:

That's how I got mine, I bought it from someone that didn't know it could be repaired. It's probably about 30 years old now and still works great. The 4" die alone was worth more than I paid for everything.

I can't see anyone useing a hand knock out on a 3 or 4 inch hole.

electricalperson

satcom said:
I can remember as a kid, every electrician had a megger, and they tested the wiring of new homes before they turned on any circuit, then with production wiring, and less skilled guys, roughing homes, the practice just dropped, the craftsmanship went down with production work, but was maintained with some custom work. Should be go back to more testing, and raise the quality of work, or would the cost prevent it?
now a days no one uses a megger to test anything. they think it takes too much time or its useless. its obvious that a lot of people dont understand the value of a megger. my megger is probably one of the most important tools i have besides my wiggy and linesmans pliars. its surprising how much people endanger themselves by energizing feeders, panels and circuits without knowing if it will explode or not

electricalperson

76nemo said:
People pick on me with my thoughts on arc flash. I don't see it funny at all. It's that one small mistake that can take your life.

Was he wearing a t-shirt and jeans HW? I get picked on alot about this. I say, "**** you"! 95% of the time, it will not be your fault. A vote of confidence doesn't stretch as far as I can spit.

You can make me the center of attention, and poke all the fun you want at me. If I am in the middle of a burst/flash, I'll be going home to a cold beer, you might be wishing you said "I love you", more often.

I just can't seem to get that point across to everyone.

Laugh all you want, I have a family to come home to.
nice post buddy. people that make fun of you for trying to protect yourself need to learn more about the hazard us electricians put ourselves into every day. i catch hell for wanting to wear arc flash gear at work and all i say is this: "what looks more funny, me wearing ppe gear or me in a burn unit for a year or in a coffin forever?"

electricalperson

growler said:
That's how I got mine, I bought it from someone that didn't know it could be repaired. It's probably about 30 years old now and still works great. The 4" die alone was worth more than I paid for everything.

I can't see anyone useing a hand knock out on a 3 or 4 inch hole.
i use a hand punch for everything. 4 inch is a 2 man job :-D. they claim at work that the hydraulic punch is not made for 4 inch

Status
Not open for further replies.