Why am I at a sandwich shop at 2:00 AM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

Not to take away from what was done, but... why two guys to change out a panel? I could not fit two of me in front of a panel. so what on earth was the 2nd guy doing? Holding the flashlight? :D Sounds pretty expensive for two mechanics to do a simple panel change out.

B4T

Terminology would suggest that you think the the POCO conductors should be brought to this panel - when I hear the words "Main breaker" I assume the one(s) at the service entrance. What type of emergency would having a 'panel' breaker avoid? There is/should be OCP on the other side of that feeder.

That would be a NO :grin: I am talking common sense here not splitting hairs over words. IMO every panel should have a main.. or what ever word fits your "terminology" list. The code protects people in all sorts of ways, but not this one. I have 2 simple questions for anyone here who does not agree with my thinking. (1) what is faster.. throwing a main inside the panel or running outside, finding the RIGHT meter main, opening the rusted tab lock, and opening a breaker that has been in the weather for the past 20 yerars. (2) given a choice of spending $75.00 more for a main breaker instead of a MLO panel.. which is a better job for the customer??? YOU are the man or woman the customer has faith in to keep him.. his family.. the employees safe incase of an emergency. What kind of emergency?? Who knows till one pops up ;)

mxslick

<snip>(1) what is faster.. throwing a main inside the panel... <snip>

I don't know about you guys, but by using both hands I can easily shut off a 42 space panel's breakers in under 5 seconds. So I don't see why a "main" breaker in a subpanel is worth the extra expense or fuss.

IF we were discussing a subpanel located a long way from the feeder's breaker and IF that panel is likely to need to be opened for maintenance or changes frequently, I could see that a "main" breaker in that panel could be a good idea, but it's still not required by Code.

Oh, and from some of the discussions I've seen on here, even having such a breaker does NOT relieve the need for PPE as even though the bus would be dead, the lugs aren't.

Tempest in a teacup...

Yeh, and while you were at it, Bob, you should have e-stops on every piece of equipment in the building.

Now that's funny. :D

Or how about a shunt-trip main?

B4T

I don't know about you guys, but by using both hands I can easily shut off a 42 space panel's breakers in under 5 seconds.

I am not talking what you can do in 5 seconds. What about a women who never touched a circuit breaker in her life. Simple people understain the word MAIN Seeing 42 circuit breakers that all look the same in confusing to anyone in the electrical trade.

electricmanscott

BLACK4TRUCK;999862 I am not talking what you can do in 5 seconds. What about a women who never touched a circuit breaker in her life. Simple people understain the word [B said:
MAIN[/B] Seeing 42 circuit breakers that all look the same in confusing to anyone in the electrical trade.

Why does it matter if it is a woman?

The average schmoe is probably too affraid to even go near the panel especially in an emergency situation.

paul

Nice Work

Nice Work

I think it's a nicely done job given the circumstances. You get two atta-boys from me. Give one of those to your partner. :D

mxslick

What about a women who never touched a circuit breaker in her life. Simple people understain the word MAIN Seeing 42 circuit breakers that all look the same in confusing to anyone in the electrical trade.

Still doesn't matter. Anyone faced with an electrical emergency, who has enough sense to go to a breaker panel in the first place, is going to shut EVERYTHING off and not bother to take the time to figure out which breaker controls the equipment/circuit on fire. :)

True story: My sister's washing machine motor burned up...upon discovering the smoke rolling from the machine, she went to the breaker panel and despite the big breaker marked MAIN, shut off every branch circuit breaker anyways.

Still won't take all that much more time than fussing with a main in any event. That's the point of what I am saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.