Why HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aja21

One interesting note: The outside salesman at one of our local supply houses told me that BB orders huge lots of light fixtures same as supply house except instead of 90 C fixture wire it is 60 C. . Any truth to this I have never checked?

27hillcrest

I can't imagine any truth to this. Considering the fixture would need to be UL listed. If it is the same fixture right down to the part number.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Note: I posted this after reading the first 54 comments incl one of my own

Note: I posted this after reading the first 54 comments incl one of my own

peter d said:
Yes, it is. :)
a great country that is

It tends to bother me that money is eventually going to ruin this country. Somebody mentioned in an earlier comment about corporations tailoring your purchasing needs. Same thing with big grocery stores. Their goal is to eventually have us buying the same stuff so that it will be cheaper for the corporation to produce/manufacture, ship, and stock their products. Hopefully the human element will save us but it never hurts to consider these things before they get out of control.

Ironically it reminds me of how my mother explained why Russia and Communism were so bad. This conversation took place in the 80's during the height of the Cold War:
Me: "Why do we hate Russia?"
Mom: "Because they are Communists."
Me: "Why is that bad?"
Mom: "Well, would you want to have no freedom? If we were like Russia we would all wear the same color clothes, drive the same cars and live in the same kind of buildings. Nobody would be themselves and there would be no variety. Variety is what makes life interesting."

Consider that last sentence and apply it to the subject of this forum and our responses to each other. Point is, even your supply houses are in business to reap the most profit. Research Granite City Electric in Boston if you're bored. They were/are a pretty good supply house to begin with. Recently they hooked up with the Red Sox and then the New England Patriots. Talk about your cash cows.

I really appreciate this forum as it is closely regulated and far less likely to go the way of your typical internet forums. (again with the irony)
Also, since we are all electricians it is much easier to have faith in the intelligence of us all. :wink:

celtic

electricmanscott said:
This thread has gone from silly to ridiculous conspiracy theories. :roll: You guys crack me up!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,
no matter how faulty that opinion may be.

My high school english lit. teacher told me/the class this once as we discussed symbolism or something. I think it applies everywhere. ;)

Last edited:

celtic

LarryFine said:
[/center]
Or how faulty the spelling of the saying. :rolleyes: :smile:
Mama used to said:
If you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing!

LMAO...I fixed MY post, but the error will be shown forever in Larry's post...thanks Larry - April Fool's day is coming and you're No.1 on the list :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
celtic said:
LMAO...I fixed MY post, but the error will be shown forever in Larry's post...thanks Larry - April Fool's day is coming and you're No.1 on the list :D
bawl.gif

growler

jaylectricity said:
Same thing with big grocery stores. Their goal is to eventually have us buying the same stuff so that it will be cheaper for the corporation to produce/manufacture, ship, and stock their products. Hopefully the human element will save us .:wink:

That's the idea behind a new food product called "Soylent Green".

I like their sales slogan " we are here to serve our fellow man ".

And their motto " DON'T FORGET TO RECYCLE ".

frank_n

celtic said:
All you have to do is take a simple mechanical test...that would prove/disprove all theorys/hypothesis.

I have a roll of 12/2 from a supply house in the van. The next time I go to HD I will compare.

Kessler4130

Like Larry said about the disconnect price, Square D and other manufacturers make items exclusively for HD, that suppliers do not have access to. It certainly is not fair, but why pay twice as much for something.

celtic

I was just using my 10+ year old Black and Decker circ. saw...model # HD 3000...bought at...you guessed it.

electricmanscott

Kessler4130 said:
Like Larry said about the disconnect price, Square D and other manufacturers make items exclusively for HD, that suppliers do not have access to. It certainly is not fair,.

Life isn't fair nor should it be. Just the way it is.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Kessler4130 said:
Like Larry said about the disconnect price, Square D and other manufacturers make items exclusively for HD, that suppliers do not have access to. It certainly is not fair, but why pay twice as much for something.

I know of no product that Square D makes exclusively for any home center. Square D does offer different packaging (consumer products are usually designated with a CP in the catalog number) and volume pricing.

360Youth

Most of what I shop for at Lowes and such is because if I do not know exactly what I need, it is there to look and compare. Most of the time I can get out of the store quicker than I can get waited on at the supply house. And it usually is cheaper. I'd rather pay a little more at the supply house and keep a good relationship, but sometimes price is price.

Status
Not open for further replies.