Why inspectors get attitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandsnow

Jim W in Tampa said:
If 99% Of the jobs pass then we might be arguing that inspectors are not needed and only add to the cost.If a cop went a month and never wrote a ticket would you ask why ?

Somebody here said, it's easier to sign the card than write a correction.

Inspection is a career path I never would have taken had I known what I know now. In the interest of effeciency it is going the way of the combo inspector. Sad.

Jim W in Tampa

sandsnow said:

Inspection is a career path I never would have taken had I known what I know now. In the interest of effeciency it is going the way of the combo inspector. Sad.

Very sad if they go como cause very few know all trades that good.We had combo inspectors years ago and pass rate was much higher,wonder why .

Might add i never would been an electrician had i known what it would be like today.

Cavie

Jim W in Tampa said:
Very sad if they go como cause very few know all trades that good.We had combo inspectors years ago and pass rate was much higher,wonder why .

Might add i never would been an electrician had i known what it would be like today.

That's part of what happened to my job. City of Bonita Springs breaking away from Lee County Building Dept and went with an engineering firm. They are hireing Combo inspectors. They didn't seem to care that I was the Bonita Springs Inspector for two years. I know inspections are going to go down the tubes.

brian john

Combo might be OK for for residential for commercial, I am not sure this is a good idea.

For me give me a tough FAIR inspector, I have no problem with that.

hardworkingstiff

brian john said:

Same here. If it's wrong, it's wrong. Nothing personal, no need to be upset. I just hope if you (inspector) are a "tough" inspector, you are the same for all contractors. That's all I ask (plus please leave your personal preferences at home).

Jim W in Tampa

Cavie said:
That's part of what happened to my job. City of Bonita Springs breaking away from Lee County Building Dept and went with an engineering firm. They are hireing Combo inspectors. They didn't seem to care that I was the Bonita Springs Inspector for two years. I know inspections are going to go down the tubes.

I liked bonita back in 70's was a fun town back then.They have grown but not sure i would care to live there now.We use to carry our beer mug from the dome to the anchor and back again when bands went on break LOL

cowboyjwc

Staff member
sandsnow said:

Yeah, I'm the one that said it and that's why I was ranting.:grin:

Had to hit the guy with reinspection fees again on Thursday. Calls for an inspection on Wednesday (no contractor on site), calls for an AM inspection on Thursday and the contractor had only been there an hour and said he didn't know he had corrections.

It's as much the GC we're having trouble with as the EC. Oh well on to the next job. :smile:

dcspector

brian john said:
Combo might be OK for for residential for commercial, I am not sure this is a good idea.

Well said Brian and Residential is tough or tougher as well on Combo's. We try not to use Combination Inspectors here unless short handed.

dcspector

sandsnow said:

More bang for the buck Larry. I agree they want one person to inspect the job on one visit and not have to wait for the other Inspectors.....accuracy...we don't care just time is money and money is time. The Municipalities also want people with 10 plus different certifications now. I call them Jelly Brains... the more they know the less they know.

kkwong

dcspector said:
The Municipalities also want people with 10 plus different certifications now. I call them Jelly Brains... the more they know the less they know.

I've run in to that problem with some places. The other day a friend of mine had a Mechanical Inspector come to inspect some electrical work. When my buddy asked where the EI was...the MI responded with "I am the EI"

dcspector

kkwong said:
I've run in to that problem with some places. The other day a friend of mine had a Mechanical Inspector come to inspect some electrical work. When my buddy asked where the EI was...the MI responded with "I am the EI"

I know. For me The NEC, UL, NFPA 72, ASME 17.1 and keeping up with new electrical products on the market is a full time job.

wireman71

Seems to me inspectors are just there to make sure you have a permit for the most part. Counting on them to inspect your work and find issues isn't going to happen. In the end the EC is responsible for up to code work.

resistance said:
They have electrical inspectors in California!:D
Here in Los Angeles we have combo inspectors for residential and individual electrical inspectors for commercial. On the residential side, 90% of the combination inspectors are highly skilled and know what they're doing, 10% are without a clue. One guy wrote me up for a pipe not being strapped and it was the gas pipe stubbed up for the oven.

25 years ago in Los Angeles there was a lot of bribery and sweetheart deals, if an inspector was told by his benefactor that he didn't want you to pass inspection, you didn't. It was widely known that certain inspectors were "owned" by certain contractors. But I have to give credit where credit is due, with the obvious exception of Glendale (a veritable den of iniquity), inspections in the Los Angeles area are totally above board.

I would like to pass the ICC residential electrical inspector test this year, I don't want to be an inspector, but it would be a nice selling point.

kkwong

Haskins-the bribery issue is everywhere and I hate to say it but it has happened with the Fire Service as well. As inspectors we try to be above all of the issues and do our jobs...but a few bad grapes spoil the bunch.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
kkwong said:
Haskins-the bribery issue is everywhere and I hate to say it but it has happened with the Fire Service as well. As inspectors we try to be above all of the issues and do our jobs...but a few bad grapes spoil the bunch.

A guy once asked me what it would cost to get his job signed off, I told him $2.5M, he looked stunned and said it's only a $10,000 job. I told him, I guess it would be cheaper then to just do it right and finish, huh?:grin:

Where are you based out of Haskins?

dcspector

wireman71 said:
Seems to me inspectors are just there to make sure you have a permit for the most part. Counting on them to inspect your work and find issues isn't going to happen. In the end the EC is responsible for up to code work.

Ouch.............not good, as far as these so called EI's

Status
Not open for further replies.