Why inspectors get attitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Well that was awhile back. I would have to price land in Wyoming again to figure out what I really need. ;)

Did you guys survive the weather the last month or so?

kkwong

The weather was interesting to say the least. This last storm we faired very well, but the one at the beginning of January kicked our tails. Parts of Downtown Sac were flooded and there were trees and wires down everywhere. Ironically though, I had a lot of fun that day.

How's you guys do?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We did well here, but some of the local areas got hit hard. This last week they were warning us of this huge storm and we got less than an inch in 3 days, but it was colder than you know what. Today it's 80+.

kkwong

cowboyjwc said:
We did well here, but some of the local areas got hit hard. This last week they were warning us of this huge storm and we got less than an inch in 3 days, but it was colder than you know what. Today it's 80+.

It's around 71 today...nice and sunny. Makes the vampires stay indoors. :)

Glad to hear that you weren't hit too badly.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
kkwong said:
Personally, my attitude reflects the attitude of who I am inspecting...If they're happy, I'm happy, if they're mad at the world...well...I can be evil back. ;)

Ken, I think we may have been seperated at birth, the last name is just spelled different.:grin:

"Oh you want to whine and complaine, well here's a couple more things that I just saw."

I preface this comment with a statement:
Our specifications have not changed very much at all, over the past 15 years. And we do follow the NEC, but we have our own standards in Roadway Lighting as well.
I think what irritates me the most, causing "my attitude" is the same contractors that I have worked with for years, who should well know our standards, constanlty ask me to accept substandard work. They ask for a little "leeway." However if you bring up the "leeway" concept in a reduction of the costs...that concept seems foreign to them.
AZ Streetlights
:cool:

jjs

How can you check a job for code compliance without referencing the approved drawings or redesigning the building yourself? It must take forever to inspect in this manner.

There is much more to an electrical job then if they have #12's on a 20A CB. It should take you a as long to inspect it as it took to design the job if you are not looking at the plans. You would have to do all the calcs for multiple current carrying conductors in a raceway to determine if the conductor ampacties were derated properly as an example. You would have to know exactly how much load is on each conductor to determine if the panelboard is overloaded.
Engineers are many times not paid to inspect their design vs the actual installation. Especially on smaller jobs. Sometimes the owners just want permit drawings.
What is the point of a plan review if you do not review the installation to the approved plans? Must just be to make sure they are getting the correct fee for the building permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.