Why is residential wiring known as single phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

Thanks,

Then the six expressions may be derived from three sets of phases; each set having an identical phase; i.e., it's still a glorified three-phase system.
They are not identical.
Six different phase displacements are not identical.
The six output pulses are at 60deg intervals. They are not identical.
The six firing pulses required are at 60 deg intervals. They are not identical.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
They are not identical.
Six different phase displacements are not identical.
The six output pulses are at 60deg intervals. They are not identical.
The six firing pulses required are at 60 deg intervals. They are not identical.
Only if you are asseting:

-Vmsin(ωt), -Vmsin(ωt+π/3) and = -Vmsin(ωt+2π/3)

aren't equivalent inverses that share the same phase as other functions

Besoeker

Only if you are asseting:

-Vmsin(ωt), -Vmsin(ωt+π/3) and = -Vmsin(ωt+2π/3)

aren't equivalent inverses that share the same phase as other functions
I'm asserting that I need one firing pulse every 60deg for the hexaphase rectifier.
Do you dispute that?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I'm asserting that I need one firing pulse every 60deg for the hexaphase rectifier.
Do you dispute that?
Yes-So? Unless you're trying to reintroduce "in phase" as an alternate to phase, it's irrelevant - and it?s still a glorified three-phase system.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
So let's ignore this little inconvenience of how the secondary hexaphase circuit works because it is irrelevant?
Works for me. How you use your "hexiphase" downstream connections is just as irrelevant as 1004 was to single-phase systems.

pfalcon

Six phases, all line to neutral.

1. Vmsin(ωt)
  2. Vmsin(ωt+π/3)
  3. Vmsin(ωt+2π/3)
  4. Vmsin(ωt+π)
  5. Vmsin(ωt+4π/3)
  6. Vmsin(ωt+5π/3)

Three line to neutral, three neutral to line.

Phase 1: The phase generated by the induction field that gives single-phase it's name.
Phase 2: The individual voltage readings that can be measured.
Phase 3: The individual current readings that can be measured.

Phase is an overloaded word just as the word duck is (duck beneath, also the water fowl). Therefore depending on which usage the poster is discussing may generate 1, 2, 4, 6, or infinite phases. All are legitimate answers depending on the usage in play. But only one usage gives the system it's name.

All you've done is apply (definition 2) to a three-phase (definition 1) system. All Rbalex is really saying is a three-phase (definition 1) system can express all (definition 2) equations in equivalents that reduce to three basic equations.

1. Vmsin(ωt) = -Vmsin(ωt+π)
  2. Vmsin(ωt+π/3) = -Vmsin(ωt+4π/3)
  3. Vmsin(ωt+2π/3) = -Vmsin(ωt+5π/3)

For the purpose of naming the system, it's a (definition 1) three-phase system. For the purpose of using the system, it's however many useful (definition 2) voltages you can tap, six in the case you presented. Add additional taps to the coils and you get even more (definition 2) phases but still have only three (definition 1) phases.

pfalcon

Just talked with the smartest man I know. He says in so many words that you CANNOT use trig identities to dump the phase constant!

Smart answers are limited to smart questions. Rbalex isn't dumping the phase constant. Under (definition 1) it cancels out. You use (definition 2) where it can't be canceled.

rattus

Smart answers are limited to smart questions. Rbalex isn't dumping the phase constant. Under (definition 1) it cancels out. You use (definition 2) where it can't be canceled.

Nonsense! The phase constant CANNOT be cancelled or altered in any way because that is what determines the starting point!

rbalex himself first posted that,

phase = (wt + phi0)

That is what makes V2n an inverse of V1n when the phase constants differ by PI.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Actually, perfectly relevant.
I thought the reason you brought up your "hexiphase" system was because you wanted to know how my position applied to it. I really don't want to start over with single-phase systems again. As relevant to conventional 120/240V systems, phase stops at the transformer; how you monkey with it downstream is irrelavent.

Edit add: Maybe I should say " As relevant to this discussion, phase stops at the transformer; how you monkey with it downstream is irrelavent."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.