Window bond near pool????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Christopherson

A home inspector said a window (aluminum frame) within 5' of this pool needed to be bonded. I've never seen this done myself, but I read 3' perimeter surfaces need bonding. Is he right?
By the way, the 3' perimeter surface is referring to the pool deck, not a building structure. I would say that your home inspector is using the handbook, not the raw NEC.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Without the NECHB commentary, 680.26 (2008) makes no mention regarding windows, nor a 5' distance.

Here is a 5' reference from the 08:

680.26(B)(7) Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment. Metal-sheathed cables and raceways, metal piping, and all fixed metal parts shall be bonded.

Exception No. 1: Those separated from the pool by a permanent barrier shall not be required to be bonded.
Exception No. 2: Those greater than 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally of the inside walls of the pool shall not be required to be bonded.
Exception No. 3: Those greater than 3.7 m (12 ft) measured vertically above the maximum water level of the pool, or as measured vertically above any observation stands, towers, or platforms, or any diving structures, shall not be required to be bonded.
It also looks like the IAEI recognizes metal window and door frames as "and all fixed metal parts". From the 05 'Analysis of Changes'.

68026C.jpg

Rick Christopherson

Chris, I am not an expert on code and most of you guys could make me look like a complete fool code-wise in about 10 seconds, however, I am pretty good with interpreting "legalese", which is what the code is all about.

680.26(B)(7) Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment.

From a legal standpoint, this is the same as saying:
Metal Wiring Methods and Metal Wiring Equipment.

The heading of this section limits the information and requirements to "metal wiring".

If the requirements pertained to non-wiring related metallic components, then it would have been listed under paragraphs (3) Metallic Components. or
(5) Metal Fittings. Nevertheless, paragraphs 3 and 5 are related to items of the "pool structure", and the dwelling is not considered part of the pool structure.

This might make more sense by listing all 7 of the subsections to "Bonded Parts".

(B) Bonded Parts.
(1) Conductive Pool Shells.
(2) Perimeter Surfaces. (i.e the pool deck)
(3) Metallic Components. (of the pool structure)
(4) Underwater Lighting.
(5) Metal Fittings.
(within or attached to the pool structure)
(6) Electrical Equipment.
(7) Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment.
(key word being "wiring")

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Chris, I am not an expert on code

That makes two of us.

Lets look at the heading again.

(7) Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment.
Agreed that windows are not wiring methods, are they equipment?

Equipment. A general term, including material, fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation.
Oops, guess not. Anybody have anything from CMP 17 that says anything about windows, doors, fences ect.?

Status
Not open for further replies.