Temporary office trailer grounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and am excited to be part of Mike Holt's community. I am having a 20 Mega Watt generator delivered tomorrow and need to clarify my systems grounding.

If the office sub panel has a neutral/ground bond do I install ground rod below the sub panel and terminate at the panel?

Or is it required that the generator have the Neutral/Ground Bond and ground rod be connected and terminated at the generator ground terminal?

I am having a hard time understanding the code requirements of 250.30 "Separately Derived Systems" and article 550.30 "Mobile home distribution systems. Any help is appreciated.

iwire

Staff member
We typically drive rods at the generator and do the bonding there.

From there we run a feeder to the job trailer and follow the rules in part II of article 225.

We generally need an rod at the trailer itself (separate structures, and all that); bond that to the feeder's EGC and the trailer frame.

Hi there,

So your saying that I should have two ground rods, one at the Panel and another at the generator? Now I am totally confused! Haha, Mike Holt also suggests that you don't drive ground rod at generator due to lightnings high pulse voltage radiance burning up generator electronics. Is that right?

I just want to find a simple and easy to understand solution. Again any help is appreciated!

iwire

Staff member
Hi there,

So your saying that I should have two ground rods, one at the Panel and another at the generator? Now I am totally confused! Haha, Mike Holt also suggests that you don't drive ground rod at generator due to lightnings high pulse voltage radiance burning up generator electronics. Is that right?

I just want to find a simple and easy to understand solution. Again any help is appreciated!

As I said, we would drive rods at the generator and do the bonding of this separately derived system at that point. per 250.30

At each trailer we would drive rods to comply with 250.32

Status
Not open for further replies.