POE for a camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caribconsult View Post
    Have you considered the option of going WiFi on this? With a good transmitter and receiver, and possibly some narrow focus parabolic antennas on each end it might work. POE does have a distance limit and as you get there, speed drops and reliability of connection becomes more of an issue.
    Beat me to it. I was just going to recommend a directional WiFi link. They make small outdoor directional antennas for pretty cheap. Check out Amazon and Ubiquiti Networks' stuff. Of course, you'll need power out there unless you do a solar/battery DC system.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Comment

camera uses dc, transmitter probably uses dc.. amplifier would use dc as well... tigh pattern UHF using can system for transmit/receive... the higher the better to cut down on distance and interception likelihoods... hmmm... as a ham operator I am intriqued by the idea but not sure what frequencies could legally be used for an unlicensed security link... of course, if you are not worried about interception of signals then commercial gear is available... but looks like a linking system for repeaters would work here...two of those micro computers, one at the area you want the cameras, for controlling them... one at the security site for decoding and saving the actual signals... you would be able to actually put several cameras at the remote area that way, if needed...

Of course, a dedicated wireless router on a directional wifi antenna could do the same... Shame I am no longer in Virginia or would go up on the tomato net and find the guys who already been there done that as a fun experiment..lol...
      Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Comment

Originally posted by texie View Post
        The POE question is moot as you can't have an ethernet link beyond 333 feet anyway.
        IEEE says 328'

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

https://kb.datto.com/hc/en-us/articl...oE-Cable-Runs-

Comment

which one is best in low budget?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephbaker View Post
              Which what?

Comment

POE is def less expensive....a pair of adapters with a throughput of around 500mbps can be had on Ebay for under $50, even less if you can get by with less speed. I have 3 older Dlink units that probably have around 85mbps, perhaps less on my actual system, and they are sufficient to connect a 2nd wireless access point and our Envoy PV monitor device for our solar system. They can be had for as little as $10 or so. Just keep the distance limitation in mind.

Comment

As mentioned, there are several strategies to extend PoE to cameras, fiber + media adapter, PoE over coax, there’s new “game changer” twisted pair that boasts 660 feet with rj45 terminate cable but that’s not IEEE recognized and expensive.

This is promising:

https://us.dahuasecurity.com/product...oe-technology/

Comment

Working...
                  X