POE for a camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
which one is best in low budget?
POE is def less expensive....a pair of adapters with a throughput of around 500mbps can be had on Ebay for under $50, even less if you can get by with less speed. I have 3 older Dlink units that probably have around 85mbps, perhaps less on my actual system, and they are sufficient to connect a 2nd wireless access point and our Envoy PV monitor device for our solar system. They can be had for as little as $10 or so. Just keep the distance limitation in mind.

hillbilly1

I have ran cat V ethernet over 900' sucessfully, but I have not tried POE that distance. I had a WAP at the end of it that was powered at that end. As others have said, try a 500' box.

I have ran cat V ethernet over 900' sucessfully, but I have not tried POE that distance. I had a WAP at the end of it that was powered at that end. As others have said, try a 500' box.
That's good to know. I have a solar inverter 650 feet away that I want to get data from . I was going to just try it and see if it works. I am sure the data rate it sends is very low.

GoldDigger

Staff member
That's good to know. I have a solar inverter 650 feet away that I want to get data from . I was going to just try it and see if it works. I am sure the data rate it sends is very low.
If it is actually using Ethernet as the encoding standard over the wire, then just carrying a low application data rate will not allow the Ethernet connection to be usable over a longer distance.
If the twisted pairs are being used for a different transmission protocol, then the Ethernet distance limitations will not apply.
Note that despite its name, you can use Power Over Ethernet on a CAT cable regardless of the actual communication protocol, as long as the appropriate provisions are still made for power injection and extraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.