Connecting UFER to a ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Here in NJ you cannot pour the footings without a footing inspection which includes the installation of or connection to the CEE. I've probably mentioned this before but I did have a job where the footing inspector wouldn't allow the pour because there was no connection to the rebar. Turns out the rebar was 3/8" and didn't qualify as a CEE in the first place but he didn't care or didn't know the code. Someone had to run to Home Depot to buy a piece of #8 copper and a rebar clamp and install it before he would sign off. Since the rebar and the #8 were both too small I just left it off when we installed the new 200 amp service. I think that I might have actually cut it off.
How often is 3/8 rebar sufficient for structural codes? Seems if anything he should have rejected the 3/8 bar for structural reasons.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How often is 3/8 rebar sufficient for structural codes? Seems if anything he should have rejected the 3/8 bar for structural reasons.

I don't know about sizing the footing rebar and as the EC it's not my concern unless it impacts the requirement for a CEE. The plans were drawn by a licensed architect and approved by the town, that works for me. :)

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know about sizing the footing rebar and as the EC it's not my concern unless it impacts the requirement for a CEE. The plans were drawn by a licensed architect and approved by the town, that works for me. :)
I don't either, but even here where there isn't much for structural inspections, you hardly ever see 3/8 rebar, my guess is it has somewhat limited applications where it is acceptable before even getting into using it as a CEE, but as said if 3/8 is used NEC says it is not a qualifying electrode and therefore isn't required to be used as one.

Status
Not open for further replies.