Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 wire outlet 4 wire dryer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    3 wire outlet 4 wire dryer

    Older apartment with 3 wire dryer outlet.
    New Tenant with 4 wire dryer and factory cord.

    Who gives?

    JAP>

    #2
    You can use the existing 3 wire outlet and change the cord on the dryer to match. I don't have the code section handy.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

    Comment


      #3
      250.140
      Ron

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
        You can use the existing 3 wire outlet and change the cord on the dryer to match. I don't have the code section handy.
        Agreed..
        They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
        She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
        I can't help it if I'm lucky

        Comment


          #5
          Or also leave the factory 4 wire cord on the dryer, change the receptacle out to a 4 wire, and, jumper the grounded and EGC I take it?
          The factory cord on the dryer s not your standard eyelet type connection. It is male to female quick connectors.

          JAP>

          Comment


            #6
            One way your modifying a factory cord, the other way your falsely connecting a 4 wire receptacle.

            To me, both seem odd.

            JAP>

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jap View Post
              One way your modifying a factory cord, the other way your falsely connecting a 4 wire receptacle.

              To me, both seem odd.

              JAP>
              I have never seen a dryer or range come from the factory with a cord....
              They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
              She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
              I can't help it if I'm lucky

              Comment


                #8
                If #12 EGC from laundry duplex is too small for NEMA 10-30R electric dryer branch circuit, can laundry plumbing be a grounding extension per NEC 250.130(C)?
                Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jap View Post
                  Or also leave the factory 4 wire cord on the dryer, change the receptacle out to a 4 wire, and, jumper the grounded and EGC I take it?
                  The factory cord on the dryer s not your standard eyelet type connection. It is male to female quick connectors.

                  JAP>
                  That you may not do as it would violate the UL labeled installation instructions for the new receptacle.

                  --
                  Tom Horne
                  Tom Horne

                  "This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

                    I have never seen a dryer or range come from the factory with a cord....
                    Nor me until today.

                    This dryer came with a factory 4 wire cord where the White and Red wire were paired in the same 2 pole female connector, Black in it's own connector and Green with an eyelet on the end of it.

                    JAP>

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Would there be an issue of jumpering a 4 wire receptacle to accept the 4 wire male cap in this scenario as to not have to modify a factory assembled cord that may void any warranty?

                      This is an odd one to say the least.

                      JAP>

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by jap View Post

                        Nor me until today.

                        This dryer came with a factory 4 wire cord where the White and Red wire were paired in the same 2 pole female connector, Black in it's own connector and Green with an eyelet on the end of it.

                        JAP>
                        Do you know the manufacture/model? Just curious since like others i have not run into that yet. Maybe they offer a different cord or an adapter.
                        Curt Swartz
                        Electrical Contractor

                        Comment


                          #13
                          If this were done, I don't know how anyone in the future would ever know that the receptacle in the wall was actually a 3 wire feed instead of a 4 wire feed without getting into it, and, the exception doesn't indicate where the Grounded to EGC connection has to be made.

                          Only that its allowed.

                          I wouldn't suggest the jumpered receptacle, but, it's something to think about in this scenario with the factory plug and play connectors like this one has.

                          JAP>

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by jap View Post

                            Nor me until today.

                            This dryer came with a factory 4 wire cord where the White and Red wire were paired in the same 2 pole female connector, Black in it's own connector and Green with an eyelet on the end of it.

                            JAP>
                            Are you sure the distributor or seller didn't install the cord. Lowes used to send the dryers out and give the installers cords to put on. In some cases the installers were putting the cords on before they got to the job.
                            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                            I can't help it if I'm lucky

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by curt swartz View Post

                              Do you know the manufacture/model? Just curious since like others i have not run into that yet. Maybe they offer a different cord or an adapter.
                              That's exactly what I suggested.

                              I'm not actually doing the work, I was just asked about it.
                              First cord I've ever seen like it on a dryer.

                              Don't know if I can get back in touch with him to get me a pic of it or manufacturer.

                              JAP>

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X