CFL fire hazard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
UL hasn't always been perfect, no NRTL has been, they can and do make mistakes.

I reiterate, and am I the ONLY one here with any common sense, that ANY product that fails while releasing smoke/fumes as a NORMAL FAILURE MODE is a SAFE PRODUCT?! No way.

Sheesh people, get with reality. Of course, a lot of electrical items may release smoke during an ABNORMAL failure, but not too many do so as a NORMAL failure mode.

And before someone points out that motors can fail by smoking, remember what we're talking about here: an item, in the hands of ordinary consumers, in their living spaces, not a motor in an industrial/commercial setting under at least some form of supervision.

I have to say that in a forum of such high-calibre professionals, I am dismayed to read the opinions of some who think that cfl's going up in smoke at end-of-life is "acceptable."

It would NOT be that difficult or expensive to add a fuse or thermal device to prevent the smoking at end of life.

There are many things in life that I find unacceptable. I either can live with it or complain about it. Life is not going to change. There are many man-made construct that I find objectionable, but I learned to cope with it. Other routes are the way to insanity.

I agree that the 'may release small amount of smoke' is an objectionable notion. However UL - and not only UL because CFL's all around the world are operating the same way - that it does NOT represent a hazard. Until it does you are not going to force the industry to anything about it.

Have you ever seen an MV expulsion fuse go off, not on an overload, but on a major fault?

Have you ever seen an arc-lamp bulb's external glass fail while operating?

How long did we drive around without seatbelts? After that how long did we drive around without air bags. How many fatalities were there then and how many are there now per driven speed/miles? How many house fires can you document due to CFL failures? How many fatalities?

It is called perspective.

Have you heard of the "Serenity Prayer"? Here iot goes:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

hockeyoligist2

My power company, Laurens Electric, sent me a new CFL last week. Their "do the change" campaign! HG brand, 20 watt. Screwed it in to a 60 watt lamp. After it is on about 30 minutes it will dim, then go out. The ballast feels very hot. You can turn it off and let it cool for a while and it works again. If I had paid for this bulb I would be really peeved.

iwire

Staff member
I have to say that in a forum of such high-calibre professionals, I am dismayed to read the opinions of some who think that cfl's going up in smoke at end-of-life is "acceptable."

Perhaps they are looking at it from a factual perspective and not such an emotional one?

It would NOT be that difficult or expensive to add a fuse or thermal device to prevent the smoking at end of life.

I bet your right, but money makes the world go 'round and if you make a safe product that no one buys you do not last long.

I agree with weressl, there is much wisdom in the Serenity Prayer.

mxslick

<snip>

I agree that the 'may release small amount of smoke' is an objectionable notion. However UL - and not only UL because CFL's all around the world are operating the same way - that it does NOT represent a hazard. Until it does you are not going to force the industry to anything about it.

Have you ever seen an MV expulsion fuse go off, not on an overload, but on a major fault?

Have you ever seen an arc-lamp bulb's external glass fail while operating?

How long did we drive around without seatbelts? After that how long did we drive around without air bags. How many fatalities were there then and how many are there now per driven speed/miles? How many house fires can you document due to CFL failures? How many fatalities?

It is called perspective.

Have you heard of the "Serenity Prayer"? Here iot goes:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

To answer those in order:

The mere fact that it releases smoke and can drip molten plastic is a hazard that UL should have caught. They are not perfect but this is IMHO a huge oversight on their part. And of course until UL drops the listing the manufacturers aren't going to put in any end-of-life fuses. (Which BTW would cost no more than 5-10 cents each in production quantities.)

Yes I have seen a MV fuse go off under a fault...but bad comparison. How many people have MV fuses installed in their bedrooms?

Yes I have seen arc lamp envelopes fail...again, bad comparison. How many arc lamps are in people's bedrooms? And the fixtures are supposed to be designed to contain the hot glass from such a failure.

Many years without seatbelts, but then cars were made of heavy steel and not recycled beer cans and plastic. :roll: Cars are somewhat safer now, but we've added the risks of burns, deafness and fractured arms from airbag deployments as a tradeoff, but that is I will agree better than a fatality, but then again, if cars were made of heavier/stronger materials...and there HAVE been house fires due to CFL's and don't know how many, if any fatalities. BUT UL is supposed to protect LIVES AND PROPERTY.

I agree it is called perspective, and that's what I'm arguing here, some folks don't seem to get it at all or are downplaying the hazard. A CFL that fails with smoke, melting plastic or flames in an open fixture in some warehouse or garage environment poses little hazard. Move that same failure to a bedroom or living area and now it can be a big deal.

I am familiar with the Serenity prayer, and this whole debate to me is about the second phrase: "The courage to change the things I can." With enough time to gather solid data, you can bet that I would be willing to fight to have the listings revoked until design changes are made.

Perhaps they are looking at it from a factual perspective and not such an emotional one?

I bet your right, but money makes the world go 'round and if you make a safe product that no one buys you do not last long.

I agree with weressl, there is much wisdom in the Serenity Prayer.

Bob, I don't waste my time on emotion, least of all on a public forum. I am just dismayed that there are those who don't seem to think this is a problem. I do not lose sleep over their opinions but I do everything I can to make changes in my little corner of the world. See my answers to Laszlo above.

Money does indeed make the world go round. Look at it this way: Say I make CFL's to the current standards, and one of my CFL's has its normal end-of-life failures, and sets a house on fire, killing a family and their kids. The relatives sue my company for millions of dollars for marketing a product with a known issue....if the suit doesn't drive me out of business for good it will radically increase my overhead in insurance. Now let's say I choose to do the right thing, and spend the extra 10 cents to add a safety fuse to my CFL's. Reaches end-of-life, fuse pops, light goes out, I sell MORE because the consumer isn't scared away from my product because it DID NOT SMOKE, MELT OR FLAME OUT when it died.

To re-quote weressl, It's a matter of perspective.

Example: The Sylvania CFL I referred to earlier in this thread simply quit working. No drama, smoke or smell. So I would buy them again no problem. In fact it appears to have some sort of fuse in line with the hot lead...hmmmmmm.

the first step is to over come denial..

Denial..isn't that somewhere in Egypt? :D

Last edited:
To answer those in order:

The mere fact that it releases smoke and can drip molten plastic is a hazard that UL should have caught. They are not perfect but this is IMHO a huge oversight on their part. And of course until UL drops the listing the manufacturers aren't going to put in any end-of-life fuses. (Which BTW would cost no more than 5-10 cents each in production quantities.)

Yes I have seen a MV fuse go off under a fault...but bad comparison. How many people have MV fuses installed in their bedrooms?

Yes I have seen arc lamp envelopes fail...again, bad comparison. How many arc lamps are in people's bedrooms? And the fixtures are supposed to be designed to contain the hot glass from such a failure.

Many years without seatbelts, but then cars were made of heavy steel and not recycled beer cans and plastic. :roll: Cars are somewhat safer now, but we've added the risks of burns, deafness and fractured arms from airbag deployments as a tradeoff, but that is I will agree better than a fatality, but then again, if cars were made of heavier/stronger materials...and there HAVE been house fires due to CFL's and don't know how many, if any fatalities. BUT UL is supposed to protect LIVES AND PROPERTY.

I agree it is called perspective, and that's what I'm arguing here, some folks don't seem to get it at all or are downplaying the hazard. A CFL that fails with smoke, melting plastic or flames in an open fixture in some warehouse or garage environment poses little hazard. Move that same failure to a bedroom or living area and now it can be a big deal.

I am familiar with the Serenity prayer, and this whole debate to me is about the second phrase: "The courage to change the things I can." With enough time to gather solid data, you can bet that I would be willing to fight to have the listings revoked until design changes are made.

Bob, I don't waste my time on emotion, least of all on a public forum. I am just dismayed that there are those who don't seem to think this is a problem. I do not lose sleep over their opinions but I do everything I can to make changes in my little corner of the world. See my answers to Laszlo above.

Money does indeed make the world go round. Look at it this way: Say I make CFL's to the current standards, and one of my CFL's has its normal end-of-life failures, and sets a house on fire, killing a family and their kids. The relatives sue my company for millions of dollars for marketing a product with a known issue....if the suit doesn't drive me out of business for good it will radically increase my overhead in insurance. Now let's say I choose to do the right thing, and spend the extra 10 cents to add a safety fuse to my CFL's. Reaches end-of-life, fuse pops, light goes out, I sell MORE because the consumer isn't scared away from my product because it DID NOT SMOKE, MELT OR FLAME OUT when it died.

To re-quote weressl, It's a matter of perspective.

Example: The Sylvania CFL I referred to earlier in this thread simply quit working. No drama, smoke or smell. So I would buy them again no problem. In fact it appears to have some sort of fuse in line with the hot lead...hmmmmmm.

Denial..isn't that somewhere in Egypt? :D

There will be no molten, dripping plastic since all parts are required to be made of thermosetting material.

The solution will be a lot more complex than a simple fuse.

An agency that has been in the business of safety assurance for unpteenth years and uncountable number of products had determined it is safe. Insurance companies would be the first to go after them. Do you know ANY single fire that is resulted from end-of-life CFLs?

The analogies are applcable if you want them to be and not if you don't. They demonstrate cases where accepted mode of failure produces seemingly harmfull effects, yet they deemed to be suitable for use.

You have seen ONE failure example of a Sylvania CFL. How do you KNOW that all will fail this way? When yoiu read both published commentary on the smoking failure acceptability published, you may note that smoke and charring MAY accompany the failure, but not necessarily always.

As I said it earlier, I was surprised to learn in this post that such mode of failure was recognized by UL and acceptable. My reaction initially was that this is unlikely to be a normal occurance. I learned something and if it is acceptable to UL, I will yield to the expertise represented there.

triks

The 60 watt rating applies to all light bulbs , not just fluorescent. The bulb you are using would be equivalent to a 23 watt incandescent bulb. You have no need to worry. If you have a vent fan in your bathroom, you can install a 100 watt bulb there. The reason most fixtures are rated 60 watts is because they usually have multiple bulbs and the total wattage would exceed the internal wiring of fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.