Sump Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me where in the code it states what receptacle for a sump pump must be either GFCI or standard duplex recpt?

Thanks!
Annette
All Electric Svc-Carbondale, IL

480sparky

Art. 210.8.

(Do I get apple fritters now?
mw_rolleyes.gif
)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here in New Jersey the GFCI exceptions present in the 2005 NEC are still part of the 2008 code. The powers that be felt that requiring GFCI protection for sump pumps was unwise for obvious reasons.

480sparky

Here in New Jersey the GFCI exceptions present in the 2005 NEC are still part of the 2008 code. The powers that be felt that requiring GFCI protection for sump pumps was unwise for obvious reasons.

Same in Iowa. 210.8(A) in the '08 was replaced in it's entirety with the language of the '05.

Of course, local jurisdictions may require the '08 language to be followed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Same in Iowa. 210.8(A) in the '08 was replaced in it's entirety with the language of the '05.

Of course, local jurisdictions may require the '08 language to be followed.

How does that work? The state mandates one code and the local governments override it?

480sparky

How does that work? The state mandates one code and the local governments override it?

As long as the local code is more stringent, it's legit.

If the state says the maximum speed limit for a given road is 45 mph, and the local yokels say only 40, then 40 it is.

I'm still trying to understand how the Board managed to make the version of the NEC they enforce less stringent.

iwire

Staff member

I think it is a shame they are putting possible water damage ahead of possible electrocution.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think it is a shame they are putting possible water damage ahead of possible electrocution.

I don't. I know that we've disagreed on this before. ;)

Many older homes around here rely on sump pumps, just the nature of the construction and when they were built. My own home has two. I would never put them on a GFCI. The real issue is someone unplugging the pump and using the receptacle. A better solution would be to have a sump pump with a twist lock or a 240 volt pump.

stickboy1375

Rob, my own sump pump has been plugged on a GFCI receptacle for years, never tripped once... I dont see the problem.

And yes, this has been discussed before. :)

spdtrx

Rob, my own sump pump has been plugged on a GFCI receptacle for years, never tripped once... I dont see the problem.

And yes, this has been discussed before. :)

Changed mine to a GFCI years ago. My house was built in 1920, Been flooded 3 times in 20 yrs that I lived there. Never had a problem with GFCI. Way better then what I had. Knob & Tube. LOL

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Will never understand laws that allow you not to obey the GFCI rules.
Unless the rules are made by people like my former boss who will swear that GFCIs nuisance trip constantly on any type of motor load. It doesn't matter what anyone says he will always believe it.

IMO it should never be allowed.

dreamsville

If the state says the maximum speed limit for a given road is 45 mph, and the local yokels say only 40, then 40 it is.

Feds over-ruled the expressway lower speed limits, (55 mph), imposed by local jurisdiction when they passed through some cities here in Michigan. Said it was causing to many accidents, better to keep the speeds constant they said.

Threatened to take away the matching highway grants if they didn't raise the limits back up, (70 mph). By golly, they raised them back up. Money talks....:cool:

480sparky

Feds over-ruled the expressway lower speed limits, (55 mph), imposed by local jurisdiction when they passed through some cities here in Michigan. Said it was causing to many accidents, better to keep the speeds constant they said.

Threatened to take away the matching highway grants if they didn't raise the limits back up, (70 mph). By golly, they raised them back up. Money talks....:cool:

Until I get a Federally-issued electrical license, I won't worry about what the Federal Electrical Board says.
wink3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.