Settle the debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Aren't the main and majority of the breakers GE?

I also (keep in mind I don't install GE panels) don't see a bonding screw. Yet there is a separate ground bar that's fed with copper, not aluminum like the main and noodle are.

Does one copper ground wire go from the ground to one electrode, and the other copper ground wire go from the neutral bar to the other electrode?

If this is the first point of disconnect, there should be a bonding screw or strap. If it's s subpanel, there's a problem with the grounding. Some of the branch circuit grounds go to the neutral bar, some to the ground bar.

hillbilly

Aren't the main and majority of the breakers GE?

Yep, that's a GE panel.
I use the same panel quite often.

If using it as a feeder panel, the cross link between the grounding and Grounded (neutral) bar must be removed.

The is also a (green) bonding screw furnished with the panel.
It needs to be installed in the hole at the end of the grounding bar.

steve

hurk27

Yep, that's a GE panel.
I use the same panel quite often.

If using it as a feeder panel, the cross link between the grounding and Grounded (neutral) bar must be removed.

The is also a (green) bonding screw furnished with the panel.
It needs to be installed in the hole at the end of the grounding bar.

steve

ITE panels allowed this also, and the MBJ was set up so it could be installed on either side of the neutral bar, but many panels required the installation of ground bars because either there wasn't enough terminals to accommodate all the neutrals if separated or there wasn't a place to bond the side for grounding to the can, like in the T&B panels, what really was bad with T&B was they never had enough terminals on the neutral bar, if the panel was a 20 circuit it had 20 neutral terminals, so a ground bar always had to be used with romex, the bad thing was they didn't even supply one. from all the latest panels of today the T&B panels and service equipment was the worst I had ever worked with, many failures with there meter packs. could be why they dumped the service line?

Last edited:

hillbilly

I've yet to see a installation that didn't get picked apart on this forum, if the installer was bold enough to submit a picture.:D

With that said.......:smile:

You need to go back and install the bonding screw.
Also, the NMB needs to be stapled within 12" of the panel.

steve

Here is a identical GE panel that I installed.
Note the cross link between the ground bars is removed.
I used this as a feeder panel.....Saved a few bucks with a "Contractor's Kit".

Also note the Green Bonding Screw installed in the Grounding Bar.

Sorry about the picture quality.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.