Settle the debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Better then allot i have seen, but I have a question:

Is this the main service panel or is there a disconnect ahead of it?

I ask this is because I dont see the MBJ installed, but then again I don't use many GE panels, and I see two GEC's coming in one landing on the neutral bar but the other landing on a grounding bar which is only attatched by screws 250.24(A)(4)?

but other then the not being used to pounding staples in LOL, it's at least not a rats nest:D

resistance

:cool:

Can't wait to see pics :grin:

I recently left an extra 12" of sheath in a panel on a group of cables that crossed over to the other side. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea. In retrospect, It would have looked better stripped.

electrical130.jpg
Fired!! :grin:

benaround

There's no shame in that panel, it looks neat, we have all seen panels where the NM is

stripped at the connector and then a bomb went off.

76nemo

I 2nd that! IMO it looks sloppy, and lazy... but thats just IMO. I'm sure yours looked like strawberries in a field

I agree whole heartedly. That's how the HO wanted it done. I've always brought all runs through the top in one chase, but he insisted on seperate entries. Yeah, it does look like crap.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yeah,... well what about those bushings instead of connectors on that meter\ panel of yours?:smile:

We've been down that road before. It seems that in some places this is an accepted installation practice. IMO it violated the NEC but who am I to complain if the AHJ accepts it as is. :rolleyes:

Installing the NM with the jacket inside of the enclosure is permitted, whether one likes the way it looks or not.
It all boils down to personal preference.

In all of my experience, I would say I see this install less than 5% of the time.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
How so?
HoltBlueDot.jpg

If you installed the Westinghouse and Bryant breakers..........yes.

You are mis-informed Bryant and Westinghouse are interchangeable Westinghouse bought Bryant back in the 80's then cutler-hammer bought them. All that resulted in Westinghouse,Bryant, and Cutler-Hammer being listed as interchangeable.

480sparky

You are mis-informed Bryant and Westinghouse are interchangeable Westinghouse bought Bryant back in the 80's then cutler-hammer bought them. All that resulted in Westinghouse,Bryant, and Cutler-Hammer being listed as interchangeable.

This comes from my not installing Westinghouse, Bryant and/or Cutler-Hammer panels.

daleuger

This is why I kept an open mind and closed mouth till I saw a pic. It doesn't look bad at all and certainly a lot better than some of the clusters I have had to sort out.

Danny7633

I may be only an apprentice but if I ran 12-2 like that the guy I work for would make me redo it. The staples arent installed correctly and arent even insulated.

Leaving the sheathing looks sloppy IMO, code or not. I just dont think this panel is something to be proud of, it looks Ok....

Danny7633

I never said it was a code requirement. Remember code is a bare minimum... It doesn't hurt to go the extra mile. If you are going to use cheap staples at least install them correctly, if you distort them pull it out and try again...

I'll give you credit the inside looks ok but the 12-2 outside the can looks sloppy. Why staple one if you stacked two? Just some things urking me.

I never said it was a code requirement. Remember code is a bare minimum... It doesn't hurt to go the extra mile. If you are going to use cheap staples at least install them correctly, if you distort them pull it out and try again...

Wait, one day it may hurt more than you think.

A good example is what we are seeing these days. People are under bidding work and going the "extra mile" may affect how one can feed his family.

I am not against going the extra mile. It is just that there is a time and place for such things.

resistance

Installing the NM with the jacket inside of the enclosure is permitted, whether one likes the way it looks or not.
It all boils down to personal preference.

In all of my experience, I would say I see this install less than 5% of the time.
Definitely personal preference! Yet I wouldn't allow this to represent my company!

76nemo

I agree with all of you on the sloppy hack work. I offered to do this for a friend because he asked me to do it 'cause he trusted me. I did it for next to nothing. I told him I would do it if I did it my way. We fall under '05. At the end of this I told him we needed 3 AFCI's, he said we would go without them. I was pretty darned ticked off. He knew the local inspector probably wouldn't come in and just sign off after he saw I did the work. We had it out, and I had my words. I stapled the NM as the last task. I was pretty ticked off, so the the supporting/stapling looks like total crap. You can see a couple of staples I just gave one good smack and left them at that. For the price I did it for, I expected to do it how I wanted. He wanted seperate entries for all of the circuits, and it looked like sh*t, please excuse my language.

As far as the one hole straps on the 6/3, I wasn't about to staple that. I just crimped the straps snug to the cable. It's the main, bonding screw is in place, and there isn't two EGC's under one screw. I see where it looks that way, top left first land, right?

Everything else was up to spec.. All was fine until he said he didn't want to spend the $80 extra for the AFCI's. Now I see why some of you don't do work for friends.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.