Back Stab Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohm

I will be interested to see what their reply will be, thanks.

Chris

He said the whole B-17 page needs to say stranded or solid and complies w/ RTRT.

He will pass it on to the PLM, which I believe is the Product Literature manager.

No telling how much business they lost due to bad sales liteature.

Maurice

raider1

Staff member
He said the whole B-17 page needs to say stranded or solid and complies w/ RTRT.

He will pass it on to the PLM, which I believe is the Product Literature manager.

No telling how much business they lost due to bad sales liteature.

Maurice

Good to know. I use a lot of P&S devices so I will watch the new literature to see if this changes. Thanks again.

Chris

I've never back stabbed and never will. Regardless of the legality of this installation, the idea that a thin strip of copper making perpendicular contact with a wire, as opposed to that same wire making contact all the way around under a screw, is OK ... NOT.

danickstr

I was reading the code requiring side-wiring from ul white book and it said multi-outlet branch circuits, not multi-wire branch circuit. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

ohm

I was reading the code requiring side-wiring from ul white book and it said multi-outlet branch circuits, not multi-wire branch circuit. Am I missing something?

Danickstr, was it part of the RTRT spec. in the White Book?

As far as I know all the receptacles in that spec. are suitable for any kind of 120V branch circuit.

However, with the 2008 Code we can't install a MWBC with AFCI breakers, which are required, in most branch circuits.

satcom

Back Stab Receptacles are great, they create so much repair and replacement work, not using them could cause a collapse of the electrical service work business.

Ohmy

Back Stab Receptacles are great, they create so much repair and replacement work, not using them could cause a collapse of the electrical service work business.

Circle of life.....Young guy brags about how many outlets he can trim out in an hour by back stabbing...after awhile he gets old, sore, and wise and starts bragging about how much money he makes fixing Back Stab Receptacles.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Circle of life.....Young guy brags about how many outlets he can trim out in an hour by back stabbing...after awhile he gets old, sore, and wise and starts bragging about how much money he makes fixing Back Stab Receptacles.
You might just have a bead on the situation. ;) :D

jwjrw

The Electric companys that do trac houses here backstab. The ELECTRICIANS here wrap around the screws. Ive replaced many many burnt up receptacles due to what I believe was backstabs getting overheated.

stevenje

As an apprentice in the mid 70's, I remember going on service calls with my journeyman and finding burned up back stabbed outlets and switches wired with # 12 aluminum. Not to get off post, but what time frame did the NEC allow the use of aluminum romex?

jwjrw

As an apprentice in the mid 70's, I remember going on service calls with my journeyman and finding burned up back stabbed outlets and switches wired with # 12 aluminum. Not to get off post, but what time frame did the NEC allow the use of aluminum romex?

Im not sure but I see it in alot of houses that I think were built in early 70s late 60s and I think it was only for 5 or 6 years.

satcom

The Electric companys that do trac houses here backstab. The ELECTRICIANS here wrap around the screws. Ive replaced many many burnt up receptacles due to what I believe was backstabs getting overheated.

The only thing getting stabbed, when you use backstab receptacles, is the customer

Status
Not open for further replies.