AC circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

I have read the threads about runing smaller wire than "normal" to AC units (inductive loads?) but never really grasped the concept.

208V 3 phase 17.5 ton AC

Specs say 90 amp MOCP.

# 4's or can I go smaller?

480sparky

I have read the threads about runing smaller wire than "normal" to AC units (inductive loads?) but never really grasped the concept.

208V 3 phase 17.5 ton AC

Specs say 90 amp MOCP.

# 4's or can I go smaller?

Wnat does the nameplace say for minimum circuit ampacity?

220/221

Breaker 90a or less (but don't).Wire for 83a or more.

Well, yeah...but I have followed threads where they are talking about running #10 or 12 on a 50 amp breaker for ac condensers and wondered if the same twisted logic applied here.

benaround

?

220/221,

It's really about using a larger breaker rather than a smaller wire. The MCA is the size

of the conductor needed for normal operation, the MOCPD is the size a the OCPD needed

to start the motor without tripping. This is allowed because the motor has overload

protection and will open the circuit before the MCA conductors ampacity is reached.

The MOCPD will handle the short circuit and ground fault tasks as well as the high

amperage of the motor at start-up. Also, this is the only load on the circuit.

Hpoe this helps.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
MCA = 83 amps

thwn
It is rare to have the minimum circuit ampacity that close to the maximum overcurrent size for an AC unit, but as others have said the code permits you to install the wire to match the minimum circuit ampacity and connect that wire to the maximum permitted OCPD.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well, yeah...but I have followed threads where they are talking about running #10 or 12 on a 50 amp breaker for ac condensers and wondered if the same twisted logic applied here.

LOL-- it is not twisted logic. What you are refering to is art. 240.4(G) which allows us to use #12 wire at 25 amps , #14 at 29=0 amps and #10 at 35 amps. Also the a/c units have a built in overload protection which protects the branch circuit from running at a higher ampacity than intended. The OCPD that we install only protects for short circuit and ground fault.

norcal

LOL-- it is not twisted logic. What you are refering to is art. 240.4(G) which allows us to use #12 wire at 25 amps , #14 at 29=0 amps and #10 at 35 amps. Also the a/c units have a built in overload protection which protects the branch circuit from running at a higher ampacity than intended. The OCPD that we install only protects for short circuit and ground fault.

Don't ya mean 14 AWG @ 20A?

Status
Not open for further replies.