New Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

For the record, I am absolutely NOT recommending a WalMart business model for an electrical contracting business.

Buying your material directly from the manufacturer having it delivered by your fleet of trucks to a shop in every major city employing a tracking system that knows where every wirenut is located and when it is sold so it can be restocked using volume buying power to lower costs..........I can see your point this would never work for an electrical contractor.

peter d

Show me were I said price had NOTHING to do with Wal-Marts success.Maybe you were smokin dope when you read my post.

I don't think you grasp the difference between a business that sells at the lowest price and a business that by its design can sell at the lowest price.

Price was just one part of Wal-marts rise to dominance in the retail industry,the Woolworths had low prices and so did The Ben Franklin

OK, so saying you were drunk was over the top, but it's all I could come up with at the time. ;) :D

At any rate, I can assure you I'm not stoned as I do not use drugs. I can also assure you that I have these concepts under control. We simply see things totally differently, and we will have to leave it at that because nothing good is coming from this.

peter d

Buying your material directly from the manufacturer having it delivered by your fleet of trucks to a shop in every major city employing a tracking system that knows where every wirenut is located and when it is sold so it can be restocked using volume buying power to lower costs..........I can see your point this would never work for an electrical contractor.

We're speaking to each other but we're not communicating. Or, to put it another way, you are trying to teach me something but I don't care to learn from you. :D

Either way, I'm done. Have fun with this one.... :)

220/221

I still say the same thing about your generation.

Heh heh, @ 34, he's is still a kid to me too :grin: My 38 YO son has always had a better work ethic than me. I was a late bloomer. I didn't do anything special. I believe he will pass this along to his kids.

why not twist the wires together nice and neat before a wirenut instead of just wirenutting the bare wires?

Because in most cases it serves no purpose. When I twist a nut, I keep going until the insulated part get twisted a bit. If I take the nut off, the bare ends are twisted tightly together.

nothing is uglier than wires running across the room in the celing.

Haven't you seen Peter's pic?

Seriously, are you talking about residential construction? Wiring concealed above the ceiling? You don't run it from point A directly to point B? Everything will be covered by drywall and insulation.

Commercial works is different. You need to allow for future work above the grid ceilings and if everyone runs their crap diagonally like the data cable clowns, it gets clogged up fast.

I thought you were joking when you said you had to have the same amount of wire extending beyond the ground/neutral bus lugs :roll:

There is a time and place for neat and squared, and there is a time and place for "as the crow flies." Knowing when one or the other is appropriate is the key.

Absolutely. When you run a conduit underground, do you level it and center it in the trench before backfill ? I hope not.

anybody can run wires cross country but it looks 100 times more professional if they are nice and straight.

Anybody can run wires nice and straight if they take the time to do so. I think your OCD is talking here. Do you ever allow a twist in a cable run? I am starting to worry about you. :)

After seeing my buddy get nailed when he uncapped some wires I twist them together

Your buddy's a bonehead. The nuts I install twist the wires together tightly. Of course I am a manly kind of guy with massive forearms and I pay attention to my work.

You advocate doing sloppy work based on the premise that being cost affective is more important than being neat and workman like.

These are all relative terms. I didn't interpet his posts that way. If you think that romex, cutting diagonally across an insulated space above a drywalled ceiling is sloppy, you have issues. You must HATE that wobbly, twisty new fangled MC stuff.

Again, in commercial work where the building gets changed and added onto so much over the years, it is important to keep things perpendicular for future installations.

Well, thankfully someone agrees with me in this thread.

I got your back. I'm just a little late.

I worked for a EC on South Beach that required there workers to make up a 42 circuit panel in 50 minutes

Seems like you should be able to do that. 3 hours seems kind of slow to me.

Anyways.....stupid kids.

I am already training my grandson to work for a living.

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I agree with Peter and 220/221 but I don't have the patience to respond to some posts and explain every detail.

Ohmy

Good Read

Good Read

Here is a good article pertaining to this subject. Basically, it says that service company's must focus on one or two competitive advantages, like price, quality, convenience, etc. Otherwise, they will be mediocre at all of them and have no competitive advantage.

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/FACSEMINARS/events/oit/documents/oit_04_08_frei_paper1.pdf

BTW, if it makes you old timers feel any better....I turned 27 last week.

Wow!

Wow!

Is this me or everyone is experiencing a shortage of new generation of electricians. I am 34 and started @ 16 worked my way up the ranks and now I am the EC. Kids these days are sure diffrent:-?
I still say the same thing about your generation. :grin:

Kids are different today. They will always be... I like Dennis' quote. He sees things from a different perspective...
(Side note here that parallels this: As a young teenager my friend was listening to heavy metal music... he mentioned that his parents didn't like the music he was listening to, and that he was scared to wonder what it would be like when HE was a parent... what possible kind of music would his kids listen to, that would scare him, since he listened to such hard music.)
We are all experiencing different electricians today. They have a different work ethic. They have been raised differently... by US! (as a whole)

no one wants to work. someday this trade will have few electricians and we will be as valueable as we once were in the old days :D maybe less electricians will be a good thing. ...
I understand your point. It does seem that no one young wants to work. However, we are nearing a critical stage in our economy as a whole (national and possibly global) where the next generation is smaller than the previous one. This will create a gap... and yes, you will see fewer electricians. Will it be a good thing? I don't know!

The conditions involve work... Most kids I see today have never been made to learn how to work. As a parent the old adage of we want something better for our kids still holds true but along the way it has been forgotten to teach them how to achieve this.
I think the finger needs to be pointed back at us (as a whole)... we are busy raising this generation (or have already done so)... WE are the ones who have forgotten... we are the ones who have failed. (society as a whole)

This goes back to the employer looking at the bottom line. It will cost money to train someone so it's cheaper to find a drone to just do what you tell them and never question why it's this way.
While I am not a complete advocate, I do look at the bottom line. I need to know how much something is going to cost me. If the job ends up being a negative, I am the one that has to pay for it... not the electrician. They were paid to learn on MY job. And their mistakes cost money... not theirs.
And regarding training... sending people to school does cost money. I am not up to pay for someone's schooling if I don't know whether or not they are going to quit for a quarter more at someother EC...
There are 2 sides to this... I think both need to be addressed.

Yes, and because of that you must find a balance between profitablility, functionality, and appearance.
Yea i hear you. Nothing wrong with your point of view, mines just different. Too bad politicians couldn't disagree civilly.
Peter is right. We MUST find a balance. However, we ALL view things differently. Since we do view things differently, and think differently, that balance will be in a different spot for each of us.
As an electrician, my balance was doing a good job so that I could keep my job.
As a foreman, my balance was keeping the guys happy and the boss happy.
As an employer, my balance is keeping the employees working, and the customer happy... and me a profit!
It is different on every level!

You advocate doing sloppy work based on the premise that being cost affective is more important than being neat and workman like.

Their is a place for sloppy work, it is called the compitition.
I do not thing Peter is advocating sloppy work. I think his comments showed exactly how things can be done in a legal NEC fashion. It may not be the way of old... but it is still correct... still NEC... still "legal."

Greg

daleuger

No, what I'm proving is the difference between how hourly workers think and business owners think.

There is a time and place for neat and squared, and there is a time and place for "as the crow flies." Knowing when one or the other is appropriate is the key.

Would you run your conduits that way?

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

Absloutly, and I have seen many many many conduits go diagonally across especially around service rooms in parking garages. It is neat and cheaper since less material is used especially when using large conductors.

dbuckley

But you're right...price has nothing to do with WalMart's success. :rolleyes:
Price does have nothing to do with Wall*Marts success.

You could win every bid you go for by shifting material at cost and charging labour at $5/hour. You would have customers coming out of your ears.

But you cant. You cant 'cos you'd be broke.

The secret of Wall*Mart's sucess is their effective management of their cost base, so they can be cheap (which brings in the customers) and more importantly, be profitable, which is how they are sucessful.

All that said, it is difficult to see how the lessons of Wall*Mart can be adapted to service businesses especially when everyone in competition uses the same component parts at the same price point.

peter d

Price does have nothing to do with Wall*Marts success.

The secret of Wall*Mart's sucess is their effective management of their cost base, so they can be cheap (which brings in the customers) and more importantly, be profitable, which is how they are sucessful.

Didn't you just contradict yourself? ;) You say that price has nothing to do with them being successful, yet in the next paragraph you point out that they do certain things in order to be cheap as a link in the chain of their success.

peter d

It all depends on the circumstances. That's what I've been trying to say all along. I'm not the type who will say "It's my way or the highway," as I think some people in this thread have insinuated. I will do any code compliant job within what the budget allows. If it means making art work, I will do that. If it means running pipe or NM cable or MC as the crow flies, I will do that too and not lose a bit of sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.