Grid cielings

Status
Not open for further replies.

daleuger

It is a rod that that they hang down from the cieling then they attach black iron to it and connect a clip that attaches to the cieling grid.

I've always seen ceiling grid tie wired to concrete anchors in the ceiling and screwed to studs around the walls. Guess I'm lost too

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
New one on me.

PR-4(3).jpg

That is not the pencil rod referred to in the OP. The pencil rod that 101010 is referring to is 5/16" solid steel rod not wire.

ultramegabob

PR-4(3).jpg

That is not the pencil rod referred to in the OP. The pencil rod that 101010 is referring to is 5/16" solid steel rod not wire.

I would like to see a picture of it and its fittings, I have never ran across anything like that, they just use wire around here.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would like to see a picture of it and its fittings, I have never ran across anything like that, they just use wire around here.
Caddy has it. It's basically all-thread without threads. Clips attach to it and stay in place with friction.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
what is the purpose of an elaborate system like that?

It's used to support the hung ceiling. The fastener on the top are usually shot into the deck above, or hung from the building steel beams. The rod has a hook on the end and is inserted into the fastener. Now the lather setups a laser and installs all of the caddy clips that will hold the "black iron" The iron is set at a specific height above the finished ceiling say 8". The carpenter then comes in and installs his ceiling grid with an "eight inch" clip. Since the iron has been set with a laser the carpenter does not have to level the grid. This system is a modern version of the system that was typically used when heavy hung ceilings were constructed of plaster and lath.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I just dont see the advantage of that system over using wire.

One advantage is mechanical strength. Another is the system becomes part of the building structure so it can be used to support conduit, boxes MC cables, and data/phone cables which can be a real money saver when running those things above the ceiling.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

OK it took me a while but I snapped a photo when my head was above the ceiling the other day. Here's an example of "black iron" with "pencil rod" and a caddy clip to attach the two together. The rod is shot into the deck with a pole gun by the lather. You can see the metal clip used to hang the ceiling grid. The pencil rod makes a nice place to support cables, conduits, etc. with a simple J hook or Caddy conduit clip:

Blackiron1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.