Running Mc in concrete decked drop ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex

I am running MC fixture to fixture in a drop ceiling with a concrete deck. I dont want to tapcon the mc with one holes to the concrete deck but I cant think of any other way to support the MC. The ceiling isnt up yet so I figured i get ahead of them. I thought about when shooting my fixture supports in the deck for the fixture tie ups maybe shooting extra to tie the MC to. Figured Id ask for some other ideas.

electricalperson

I am running MC fixture to fixture in a drop ceiling with a concrete deck. I dont want to tapcon the mc with one holes to the concrete deck but I cant think of any other way to support the MC. The ceiling isnt up yet so I figured i get ahead of them. I thought about when shooting my fixture supports in the deck for the fixture tie ups maybe shooting extra to tie the MC to. Figured Id ask for some other ideas.

would these be of any use http://www.arlcatalog.com/Flex/Steel Cable Hangers.htm

Flex

Nice find. If i had more than one cable to jump around they seem like they would be perfect. However I have only one 12-2 MC jumping around light to light. Looks like one-holes it is.

cadpoint

With new concrete I'd go with a lead pin or a lead set anchor and drilled, the concrete won't be cured for a shoot! unless it's old construction...

See if you can get the PSI of the concrete it matters to the shoot.

iwire

Staff member
We would shoot it using a viper and ceiling tie wires that already have a pin connected to them.

viper_pole_guy_1_.jpg

http://constructionfastening.com/powder.html

Or if we want to use bridal rings we shoot these clips into the deck.

SPC114_1_.jpg

ultramegabob

With new concrete I'd go with a lead pin or a lead set anchor and drilled, the concrete won't be cured for a shoot! unless it's old construction...

I think his original idea of tapcons would cost less and be less labor intensive

iwire

Staff member
I have no issue with green concrete just use the right charge. I will take green concrete over 100 year old concrete any day. That old stuff likes to blow out instead of holding fast.

ultramegabob

Or if we want to use bridal rings we shoot these clips into the deck.

SPC114_1_.jpg

what do these bridal rings you would use with these clips look like? would there be a problem with just using tie wire to hold the m.c. up with those? I wouldnt do it out in the open, but he said it was above a suspended ceiling.

jeremysterling

Here in Austin, troffers are independently supported from the grid. We paint our ceiling wires yellow and shoot them up with the powder-actuated tool, either with a lift or pole-gun. We use 7/8" drive pins to stay shallower than the post-tension cables in the slab. Each troffer is required by municipal code to be supported on all four corners. We use a lot of MC "batwings".

I shoot additional wires and tie them to the grid for "batwinging" homeruns, switchlegs, emergency and nightlight ckts. The inspector looks to make sure all electrical is on yellow painted ceiling wire.

ultramegabob

ultramegabob

I shoot additional wires and tie them to the grid for "batwinging" homeruns, switchlegs, emergency and nightlight ckts. The inspector looks to make sure all electrical is on yellow painted ceiling wire.

I think he is wanting to get his cable up before the ceiling grid is installed.

Doug S.

Make sure lead / zinc / not steel is ok per your local code. Some folks don't like it, because the heat (fire) will melt the anchor ... ... ... and you get the point.

You can shoot into new concrete. The newer the better for the product that iwire showed. OLD concrete like's to make a mess when shooting into it...ack.

Just shoot it, you'll be happy and amazed at the labor savings.

Last edited:

tim123

We typically use the viper like iwire does. Trying to make massive vertical racks of mc and kx clips to cut down on labor. However from time to time we are not allowed to use that gun, something about the nail being to long and possibly hitting post tension cables. :rolleyes: In that case we use a t3 nail gun, that usually blows the concrete out a bunch and makes for a rough couple of weeks.
ramset-t3.jpg

electricalperson

We typically use the viper like iwire does. Trying to make massive vertical racks of mc and kx clips to cut down on labor. However from time to time we are not allowed to use that gun, something about the nail being to long and possibly hitting post tension cables. :rolleyes: In that case we use a t3 nail gun, that usually blows the concrete out a bunch and makes for a rough couple of weeks.
ramset-t3.jpg

what are post tension cables and what happens if they get hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.