AL Conductors & Use of anti-oxident

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Pretty cheap protection, and you'll keep the local AHJ happy :)

That's all well and good but the question here is whether or not it's required and the answer is it isn't. The inspector is wrong for failing this installation because he thinks that it's a good idea or is mistaken that it's required.

dreamsville

"assumption..sumption...whats yo function"? Hey ,I just noticed the first 3 letters in that word! Never really thought about it! I think there is a reason for using anti-oxidant on aliminum conductors, just seems like over-kill on a temp install, and to demand that it be used is a little over the top!!:)

You know the old saying....ass out of u and me.

I'm not arguing that the NEC does or doesn't require it...just that it does help against corrosion when you have damp humid conditions.

ItsHot

You know the old saying....ass out of u and me.

I'm not arguing that the NEC does or doesn't require it...just that it does help against corrosion when you have damp humid conditions.
Not calling anyone here, anything bad!! You guys are awesome!! I could not put a price on the information available here! And I also use anti-oxidant on aluminum conductors on new installs. I just think in the op ,that it is a little picky for a temp service.

electricmanscott

Not calling anyone here, anything bad!! You guys are awesome!! I could not put a price on the information available here! And I also use anti-oxidant on aluminum conductors on new installs. I just think in the op ,that it is a little picky for a temp service.

It's not being picky, it is a misinformed or ignorant inspector. It is not required, period.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's not being picky, it is a misinformed or ignorant inspector. It is not required, period.

Well said. That's the bottom line. The inspector violated something that was not a violation in the first place. Arguments about whether or not anti-ox makes for a better connection are moot.

So in conclusion : We have a wire manufacturer that says it is not required, the Lug listing from the panelboard manufacturer says it is not required, but I have an inspector who "thinks" that it is required, and a very big portion of the electrical community that uses it regardless.

Why can't I come up with a product that is not needed but everyone still buys it !!!!

brian john

So in conclusion : We have a wire manufacturer that says it is not required, the Lug listing from the panelboard manufacturer says it is not required, but I have an inspector who "thinks" that it is required, and a very big portion of the electrical community that uses it regardless.

Why can't I come up with a product that is not needed but everyone still buys it !!!!

And when used properly is not a problem.

SEO

I heard of an electrical inspector issue a violation for a little smudge of nolux on the inside of the panel he cited 110.12 (B). I don't know how little the smudge was but it sure seemed picky to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.