CA title 24 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey I'd like to know what all you Ca EC think about Lighting changes in residential.
For example:
1) in a kitchen remodle no Sqft change. If you change the lights should it be necessary to meed title 24?

2) in a bathroom if you change out a Heat/Fan Light does it need to be title 24 complaint. Meaning put in a FL.

As I read the Title 24 workbook it seems to say if you relace it must be updated to the new code. What do most of you EC's do?
Thanks

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I know you asked EC's, but I can tell you that the book says, the lighting requirements apply to alterations and additions (including replacements) as well as newly-constructed buildings.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I know you asked EC's, but I can tell you that the book says, the lighting requirements apply to alterations and additions (including replacements) as well as newly-constructed buildings.
So how how well is that inforced in Socal.
supply houses here only cary Heat/fan/ light with incand.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So how how well is that inforced in Socal.
supply houses here only cary Heat/fan/ light with incand.

Well our jurisdiction is on a little bit of an island if you get my drift. We are very strict on the Title 24 and have actually won two awards from the state for our enforcement. I will admit that other jurisdictions in the area are not so strict.

I think that with the adoption of the Green Building Code that you will see that the lighting is not really such a big deal after all.

With the combo, since they are all on a seperate switch anyways, just put the light on a manual on occupancy sensor. That's how you get around the FL in the bath and other areas that they're required.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well our jurisdiction is on a little bit of an island if you get my drift. We are very strict on the Title 24 and have actually won two awards from the state for our enforcement. I will admit that other jurisdictions in the area are not so strict.

I think that with the adoption of the Green Building Code that you will see that the lighting is not really such a big deal after all.

With the combo, since they are all on a seperate switch anyways, just put the light on a manual on occupancy sensor. That's how you get around the FL in the bath and other areas that they're required.
Thanks I forgot about that. I was so into using FL because of the energy savings. I usually put the Vanity on a dimmer.

SpiderMT

Dimmers don't cut it for a bathroom vanity fixture under Title 24, they have to be either fluorescent or controlled by a manual on occupancy sensor.

e57

Hey I'd like to know what all you Ca EC think about Lighting changes in residential.
For example:
1) in a kitchen remodle no Sqft change. If you change the lights should it be necessary to meed title 24?

2) in a bathroom if you change out a Heat/Fan Light does it need to be title 24 complaint. Meaning put in a FL.

As I read the Title 24 workbook it seems to say if you relace it must be updated to the new code. What do most of you EC's do?
Thanks
To be clear are we talking about the current T-24 or the NEW one about to come in? I have not read the new one yet... The current one is pretty easy... In the Kit just do whatever you want as long as you can keep the 50% High Efficancey... Even if it means putting in a few T-5 HO's above the upper cabs that will either never get used, or become the main lighting.... Bath heat/fan if you wanna keep that use a wattstopper power pack for all the bath lighting in a cab somewhere and an ultrasonic sensor... Also a "momentary on" switch to as a "master" for the room. (If you meastros the line load 'local switch' they will come on/fade in at the last preset level... ;) Also great for exterior for a more desirable fade in effect than flashing on 500w of floods...)

The ultrasonic UT-300 can stay on if the fan moves air, or if a cat yawns in the next room.... Run the shower or breath.... :grin:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Do all the lights have to be on the occupancy switch in the bathroom if incandescent?
Or can you have a task light?
This is a old bathroom where they want the Heat/fan vent replaced with a new unit. The old one is pretty crusty!

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Straight from the book: Lighting in bathrooms, garages, laundry rooms and/or utility rooms must be high efficacy, or must be controlled by a manual-on occupant sensor. A bathroom is a room containing a shower, tub, toilet or a sink that is used for personal hygiene.

Now that being said. Are you pulling a permit just to replace a fixture?

No permit, no Title 24.:smile:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Straight from the book: Lighting in bathrooms, garages, laundry rooms and/or utility rooms must be high efficacy, or must be controlled by a manual-on occupant sensor. A bathroom is a room containing a shower, tub, toilet or a sink that is used for personal hygiene.

Now that being said. Are you pulling a permit just to replace a fixture?

No permit, no Title 24.:smile:
Funny you should say no permit no T24.
Bathroom remodel. Don't know if there will be a permit. Here they do all in one permits. It looks pretty bad on the GC if they move plumbing and I just pull a Electrical permit. Other than repairs a permit is needed in this city.

Status
Not open for further replies.