My New Book....being published

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiopet

Hey Guys,

My first book designed for the home inspectors explaining the process of electrical inspections in "their" world is being published in a few weeks. My next publication will be designed for municipal inspectors due out by the middle of next year.

I am very excited.....should be good tool for HI's to learn our side of the fence better and help them understand our world.

radiopet

Thanks Guys....No it is not advertising so thanks for seeing it properly. I do alot to help bridge the two industries and was called on to write a book that explains what they need ( HI's) too look for without being too much of a "codeist" in the process.

The book will is titled " How to Perform Electrical Inspections " and is geared for home inspectors. It explains the concepts of grounding and bonding and covers things they should really look for as safety concerns while not giving them more information than they can handle.

Again not an advertisement as it is not geared to Electricians with this book. However, a few that have read my draft said it could appeal to both. This was not the intent.

I was just excited about it is all....already working on the next one that is geared to our industry ( as if we dont have enough books on that already ).

charlie

Congratulations

Congratulations

Most people read or refer to books but never write them. It is, in fact, rare for someone to actually write a book. I know well several technical authors and they are no different than other people except that they are willing to do the research that is necessary to pull together the material to write a book that people need.

Since you are now in the group of technical writers, congratulations on a lot of hard work and the success of getting it into the hands of people that need it. :)

c2500

Congrats on the book. Please make sure that some make it to the Greenville, SC area so some of the home inspectors can learn what they are susposed to be looking for!!! (This was in no shape or form a slap at electrical inspectors who normally know what they are doing.)

c2500

radiopet

Congrats on the book. Please make sure that some make it to the Greenville, SC area so some of the home inspectors can learn what they are susposed to be looking for!!! (This was in no shape or form a slap at electrical inspectors who normally know what they are doing.)

c2500

lol...you would be surprised as the majority of HI's are very good and know quite a bit. They are generalists and do not need to be as specific as we are. However, I am hoping my book makes them even better. I know that NACHI guys are top rate as I have worked with many of them for over 5 years and still devote alot of time to answering their questions and they are all getting better and better at what they do.

mcclary's electrical

lol...you would be surprised as the majority of HI's are very good and know quite a bit. They are generalists and do not need to be as specific as we are. However, I am hoping my book makes them even better. I know that NACHI guys are top rate as I have worked with many of them for over 5 years and still devote alot of time to answering their questions and they are all getting better and better at what they do.

you'd be surprised how many are drunk failing contractors, too.:grin:

gndrod

writing context

writing context

Thanks Guys....No it is not advertising so thanks for seeing it properly. I do alot to help bridge the two industries and was called on to write a book that explains what they need ( HI's) too look for without being too much of a "codeist" in the process.

The book will is titled " How to Perform Electrical Inspections " and is geared for home inspectors. It explains the concepts of grounding and bonding and covers things they should really look for as safety concerns while not giving them more information than they can handle.

Again not an advertisement as it is not geared to Electricians with this book. However, a few that have read my draft said it could appeal to both. This was not the intent.

I was just excited about it is all....already working on the next one that is geared to our industry ( as if we dont have enough books on that already ).

Congratulations Paul,

I too write but on the other side of the electrical fence. I know the journey of writing is a long and researched one. I admire the accomplishment you have put forth. rbj

c2500

Lol, in my home town there is only two requirements to be a code enforcement officer. 1. be on the fire department and 2. must go through the police accademy so you can cary a gun. all else doesnt matter. Please send them your book.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Paul

This is a great idea. May I suggest that you change your name to something like 'how to find electrical safety hazards.'

"How to Perform Electrical Inspections" would be hard to do in Ohio.

From the BBS (Board of Building Standards) opinion:

""The law related to electrical inspections is not new. Since 1970, persons holding themselves out to perform electrical inspections have been required to be certified by the Ohio Board of Building Standards as Electrical Safety Inspectors.

For the purpose of this law, "practice of electrical inspection" includes any ascertainment of compliance with the Ohio building code, or the electrical code of a political subdivision of this state by a person, who, for compensation, inspects the construction and installation of electrical conductors, fittings, devices, and fixtures for light, heat or power services equipment, or the installation, alteration, replacement, maintenance, or repair of any electrical wiring and equipment that is subject to any of the aforementioned codes. (taken from ORC Chapter 3783.)

This means that if a person is paid to inspect a home, and indicates that they are inspecting the electrical system in accordance with the code, and they are not certified by the Ohio Board of Building Standards as an Electrical Safety Inspector, they would be in violation of the law.

"No person shall engage in the practice of electrical inspection in this state unless he is the holder of a certificate of competency as an electrical safety inspector issued under Chapter 3783. of the Revised Code. Any person practicing or offering to practice electrical inspection shall show proof of his certification upon request as provided by rules of the board of building standards." (taken from ORC Chapter 3783.)

However, if a person holds them self out as a home inspector and offers to perform an inspection of the home and its systems but indicates that they will issue a report indicating the state of function, operation or relative hazards, but not refer to code compliance, they would not be in violation of this law."

Please note "any ascertainment" in the law.

Again a great idea.

tkb

Do you have a website, and is your book available?
Are there any teasers that we can read?

PM if you won't/can't post publicly.
Some may see it as advertising.

Inquiring mind want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.