renting a masters license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4str

And who is responsible to get the insurances, if there is some problems. And why the guy did not get any % of the profit. It is thanked to him that the business exits. I don't know it looks to complicated. But anyway that is illegal here in New Jersey.

Buissness owner is responsible for everything. All the supervisor has to do is allow permits in his name and collect a paycheck.

I know of a few companies that work this way here. I just doubt ill be able to find someone. But its worth looking

j4str

could you please edit your post

I would but it won't let me. If I offended you, I apologize. It wasn't my intention. But you may have gotten my point that I want to own my own business. I don't mind someone have final authority but I hate being micro managed.

bradleyelectric

Why do not the owner get his own licence if it is not so complicated?

For any number of reason. Not everyone that owns a child care center has a degree in early child development. My cousin owns electrolysis centers. I believe he has never removed anyone?s hair in his life. To be a business owner, it is best to put an organization chart on paper. You can put anyone?s name in any position, as long as all positions are filled. The business owner can put himself in charge of business development, taking out trash, twisting wire nuts or a combination of these.

kwired

Electron manager
I believe in most places it is probably illegal to rent, loan, lease or whatever with any type of license to another individual, there is a reason the license holder holds the license - they have met whatever requirements necessary to have such license. Usually they risk penalties or even revocation of the license if they allow someone else to use it in this manner.

Put yourself on the other side of the situation. If you held the license would you want to accept liability for someone elses actions as a result of using your license? You are now involved with every permit associated even if you know nothing about what has happened.

Would you see a physician that has to use some other persons licensing because they do not have a license of their own.

Should a person that has had their drivers license revoked be allowed to drive by using another persons license?

magictolight.com

Don't put words in my mouth. There is a big difference between what I'm talking about and a boss. A supervisor might have final say on some things but I doubt he would tell me when and where to be, how to run my business or which hand to use to piss with.

And believe me. I know what's entailed in running a buisness. I've been planning this mu entire apprenticeship. And I already do 2 side businesses. I am a general contractor and do custom powder coating. Albeit those are small jobs I use them as a learning experience

2 things: I was in these shoes for about a year before I got my contracting license. Every time I went in for a permit anywhere I new the license holder had me by the gonads, even though he was always good about it.

I am also a two man crew, me and another journeyman. When our client calls, it is either me or Steve who is on the call. It kind of stinks being told when and where I will be but I hope the future holds something different. I guess I am married to the business.

I had two businesses before electrical contracting also. Through the disappointing end of one I realized that I did not have the foggiest idea how to run a business. Technical work is one thing. Getting your head in the game and focusing on the management and strategy is entirely another. I read a great book called the Emyth Contractor, and I thought this author was writing about my business.

electricmanscott

I am a journeyman in coos bay, oregon and I want to go into business for myself. The problem is that I'm not eligible to take the oregon supervisors (our version of a master) test for 5 years. I've heard of shops using someone else's supervisors card. What are your guys thoughts on this?

I am with you 100%!! I want to fly jets but they have all those "requirements" that are really getting in the way. I might be able to pick up some of those "wings" the pilots used to give to the kiddies and jump right into it. :roll:

danickstr

I can understand trying to get oneself employed any way possible. Maybe you can find a crotchety old master who will make your life miserable since he was unable to stay in business for himself. Good luck.

growler

Buissness owner is responsible for everything. All the supervisor has to do is allow permits in his name and collect a paycheck.

Well it sure sounds good, that part about only having to collect a paycheck but I doubt if it's that simple.

Normally there are some requirements for the person with the master's license to actually be involved and be responsible for the work performed.

If I were you I would start to figure out what those responsibilites and liabilities are for the person holding the master's ticket. To me the most important thing about holding any license is knowing what you are allowed to do with such a license and the risk involved. When you do get your master's then someone will come along and want to rent it from you.

scwirenut

its quite legal here in SC. we have whats called a "qualifying party" to get a Electrical license. see thats where the confusion is. here a journeyman or masters is not a license its a certificate, or trade card. to get a license to contract a person or company needs to have a person that holds this masters certificate as there "qualifying party". that person can only qualify one license and must be a officer in the company. My company holds the license, I am the qualifying party. I could just have easily got anyone with a masters certificate to be my qualifying party for my company.....

scwirenut

there are hundreds of master electricians here that cant pull a permit.(plant work) because you need a state license to pull a permit. a contractors license. usually held by a company

j4str

The signing supervisor is always putting their neck on the line. That's basically the entire point here. Find someone willingto put their neck on the line for a dollar amount. There is a certain amount of trust involved in something like this. Honestly though, your neck is more on the line in a normal situation where the journeyman is hired on to do work. He screws something up, its your masters liscence and your buisness and insurance.

I believe in most places it is probably illegal to rent, loan, lease or whatever with any type of license to another individual, there is a reason the license holder holds the license - they have met whatever requirements necessary to have such license. Usually they risk penalties or even revocation of the license if they allow someone else to use it in this manner.

Put yourself on the other side of the situation. If you held the license would you want to accept liability for someone elses actions as a result of using your license? You are now involved with every permit associated even if you know nothing about what has happened.

Would you see a physician that has to use some other persons licensing because they do not have a license of their own.

Should a person that has had their drivers license revoked be allowed to drive by using another persons license?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am a journeyman in coos bay, oregon and I want to go into business for myself. The problem is that I'm not eligible to take the oregon supervisors (our version of a master) test for 5 years. I've heard of shops using someone else's supervisors card. What are your guys thoughts on this?

I doubt it is legal to "rent" a license. Its probably possible to hire a guy with an existing license to do the things the law requires a supervisor license for.

Maybe a semi-retired fellow.

Find out what the minimum requirements the supervisor has to do. It usually sounds like a whole lot more than it really is.

e57

I doubt it is legal to "rent" a license. Its probably possible to hire a guy with an existing license to do the things the law requires a supervisor license for.

Maybe a semi-retired fellow.

Find out what the minimum requirements the supervisor has to do. It usually sounds like a whole lot more than it really is.
In California that is called an RME or RMO (The former requiring 10% ownership)

Responsible Managing Employee
Title of an employee who serves as the qualifying individual on a sole owner, partnership or corporate license.

Responsible Managing Officer
Title of an officer who serves as the qualifying individual on a corporate license.

bradleyelectric

In MD you need a business license to own a business. In order to obtain 1 of these licenses you need to go to your local county office and spend about 4 hours running from office to office jumping through hoops and spend $17.50 and you have a license that allows you to pay personal property taxes for your business.

You need a master electricians license to perform electrical work and pull electrical permits. 7 years in the trade and a 4 hour test to obtain 1 of those.

You do not need to have a master electricans license to be an electrical contractor, however the company needs to employ 1. You don't need to be in business to have a master electricans license, but it doesn't legally by itself allow you to be in business.

I carry both for my business, which is actually a seperate entity that I am the sole owner of. The business could employ any master electrican it chose.

khixxx

Just get a business partner. Contact your Accountants and Attorney then post your results here. I am sure there would be someone that is interested. What state you in? maybe contact Mr. E and see if anyone is your area is looking or might be in need for a Partner. However you pretty much have to be on your A game personally and FINANCIALLY to be taken serous.

VIPER

Status
Not open for further replies.