Formula Wheel,,Not allowed at testing center {help}!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunny

O,k, I'm taking the N,J, Test in Oct. But New Jersey in thier infinate wisdom will not allow you to bring your own copy of NEC..I was hoping to put my Mike Holt sticker on my NEC copy. Now what ?.,I looked in NEC and don't see it anywhere I remember the basic ones but not all 12 formula's and my head is already bombarded with all the theory formula's and not to mention codes and Alarm values. Does anybody have any suggestions ?.

tunny

I would if I was some shade tree idiot., But I've done my 5yrs with an 85 average but 5 yrs ago and trying to come up with options. Other then memorizing every formula so thanks ,but no thanks..Now, any serious replys ?.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Funny, I was thinking the same thing, I know a guy that was seriously thinking about getting one. Me, I'm saving up for the UL tattoo. ;)

Just try to memorize the formulas, or at least three key ones. I got by with my shoddy short-term memory, I'm sure you can too. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If I correctly remember the wheel you are describing (I don't have a copy to look at), all of its formulas come in sets. By that I mean the same information is conveyed three or four different ways. For example, Ohm's law can be described in at least three ways:
  1. E = IR
  2. R = E/I
  3. I = E/R
So all you have to do is to memorize any one of the three, and figure out how to derive the other two from it. This will reduce the amount you have to memorize by 67% or more.

I suggest you memorize the version of each formula in which there is no division shown. That would be version #1 in the set of three I show above. Suppose they give you a value of voltage and a value of current. Let's say E is 120 volts and I is 10 amps. You don't have to try to remember the formula for resistance. Instead, you plug in the numbers you know into the one and only one formula you memorized, thusly:

1. 120 = 10 times R.

From there, you should be able to work out that R is 12.

zog

O,k, I'm taking the N,J, Test in Oct. But New Jersey in thier infinate wisdom will not allow you to bring your own copy of NEC..I was hoping to put my Mike Holt sticker on my NEC copy. Now what ?.,I looked in NEC and don't see it anywhere I remember the basic ones but not all 12 formula's and my head is already bombarded with all the theory formula's and not to mention codes and Alarm values. Does anybody have any suggestions ?.

I would agree that knowing basic theory formulas would be somehting an electrician should know. Just learn them.

tunny

Thank's guys...I geuss I just panicked those I remember ,even remember the ones squared. But the square roots ones,,,na...I just am my worst enemy ,know it all or fail is my thinking. I'm gonna try breaking the sections down in quarters...Draw each quarter for the next thirty days before sleep.I took the FL test and misse by 6 points now I'm in nj 2yrs later and obsessing about knowing evrything.In Fl I spent too much time back checking equations for accursey (?)...And should have just answered and moved on.So now I'm over thinking everything........Thanks again, very much appreciated..

Last edited:

celtic

Here is a tip you already know, but need confirmation:

.In Fl I spent too much time back checking equations for accursey (?)...And should have just answered and moved on.

Here's another tip you haven't considered:
SKIP THE MATH

Yup....don't even do them.....don't waste the time, effort, energy, or sleep worrying about "the math".
When it's all said and done...no one [with the exception of possibly you] cares if you score a 75% or a 100% ~ either way you passed. So why sweat the small stuff?

If you insist on "doing the math"....study the formulas or buy a watch:
dc1579%20ohms%20law%20wristwatch.jpg
This little number is only $40.00.

More here:
TechNote Time Electrical Trades Gift Store Home

Personally...I like my Victorinox
sa_241122_sol_a02.jpg
....and skipped the math and passed the first time.

JMO on watches and stuff:)

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Mike holt Enterprises has watches for $50.00

1173287433.jpg

Click here for the whole gig!

The other way to do it is remember to build a triangle with one letter on top, and the other two on the bottom. Now enter the letters alphabetically - E on top, I to the bottom left, and R to the bottem right. ...

E/I = R....E/R = I....I x R = E

Build your next triangle in reverse! P on top, I bottom left, E bottom right. Work it the same way.

The one thing you might need for the test is what causes heat...think - I2R = P.

So if I squared R is heat, would e squared divided by R get you P.

So far - you me about $30.00 for the math lesson so far, cop another $20.00 and we here at the forum, will guide you through the test :D .

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
When I sat for my test, I turned in everything to do so, including my car keys and my watch. It might be handy for studying before the test, but I wouldn't count on it being with me for the test. :)
Yea this open book stuff just is not right, I could not even use my own calculator. The state supplied as many pencil and paper as needed , a Calculator. That's it. What up with open book they might as well give the answers.

K2X

I just remember E=IR and P=IE. Pie is easy to remember. Then some simple cross multiplication. If E=Ir then E/I =R kinda like flipflopping. Then when you want to cross over these formulas You can do
E=IR and P=IE So
E=IR=P/I=E Then take the center quantities so
IR=P/I then
IxIxR=P or
I squared x R=P

It's easier than i make it sound. We're not allowed wheels in class either.

480sparky

Yea this open book stuff just is not right, I could not even use my own calculator. The state supplied as many pencil and paper as needed , a Calculator. That's it. What up with open book they might as well give the answers.

The idea is to find out if you know how and where to look up the answers.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The idea is to find out if you know how and where to look up the answers.
If you can pass the test without open book don't ya think the person is capable of looking stuff up.
I'm sorry I don't agree. There needs to be a portion of the test that shows the knowledge known. I can't see how having the code book can show this.

480sparky

If you can pass the test without open book don't ya think the person is capable of looking stuff up.
I'm sorry I don't agree. There needs to be a portion of the test that shows the knowledge known. I can't see how having the code book can show this.

You would be surprised that what people think they know.

Can you splice conductors in a panel? In an LB? The mythical 100-foot raceway rule. Even this forum is littered with questions from the Urban Legend Electrical Code.

A classic question is : The owner of a custom home wants to add 17 receptacles in the dwelling. How many Volt-amps does that add to the service calculation?

Sometimes, a question will revolve around a specific word in a code reference. Is it 'guard', 'protect', 'preserve' or 'secure'? YOU may know what the Code means, but what does it SAY?

Charlie's Rule.

hillbilly

When I was first getting into reading and using electrical formulas, the hardest thing that I had to remember is what the symbols "E", "I" and "P" stood for.

Why not just call them Voltage and Current and Wattage? V, C and W.

I finally grasped the thinking when I read somewhere that the letter "I" was used for amperage because, way back...at first.... when looking for a way to describe current, the word "Intensity" was used.

After hearing that, I didn't have to sit and ponder just what "I" stood for.:roll:
Seriously, I had a mental block and could not remember what the symbols stood for.

Now that I knew I and R (Resistance is easy), all I had to do was remember that "E" stood for Electromotive Force...... Energy........ Voltage.

After that, simple deduction left "P" for wattage.

Waaaay back, my father (Navy Radioman in WWII...Destroyer in the Pacific and later a Mechanical Engineer in civilian life) taught me OHM's law for DC circuits.
He used the words Volt, Amp, Resistance and Watt so that I could learn.
I understood how it worked, but I didn't memorize the symbols.

The important thing (in my mind) is learning how electricity works, and understanding how Voltage (E) and Resistance (R) determine how much Current flows (I) and the amount of power delivered...Wattage (P).

1 Volt will push 1 Amp of current across 1 OHM of resistance and deliver 1 Watt of power.
By using interpolation, any of the (single) values can be determined by knowing any of the other two.

I know...we all know that, and I'm leaving a lot out ....but I'm trying to help the OP make it through the test.
If it's anything like the (two) CE tests that I've taken and passed, this is all you will need....as far as this part goes anyway.

If you will learn how it works (I'm not saying that you don't already), and memorize the symbols, you shouldn't have a problem.
When you first sit down to take the test, write down the symbols and what they represent.
Also, write down all of Ohm's Law that you can remember.
If you can get down one part of the formula, the rest should be easy.

I probably made a error or two in my descriptions, but what I know, I learned by experience, self study and of course...my dad.
I didn't go to school to be a electrician, so my technical terminology may be lacking.

My advice on taking the test.

First....Relax, you know this stuff, just answer the question.
The questions are written to confuse you, and most of the time they will have a lot of un-necessary information.
Look for the true question in all of the words, and answer it.

Second....Answer all of the questions that you know the answers to, and mark the others to return to later.

Third.....Answer the questions that you're pretty sure of, but just need to check the book.

Fourth....Answer the questions that you are not sure of, but have a good idea of what the queston is asking, and can come to a answer.
Then compare it to the available answers, and pick the one closest to your answer.

Fifth....If you can't do a problem....Guess.
Wrong answers don't count against your score, and you might get lucky.

Hope this helps
steve

480sparky

When I was first getting into reading and using electrical formulas, the hardest thing that I had to remember is what the symbols "E", "I" and "P" stood for.

Why not just call them Voltage and Current and Wattage? V, C and W.

Because the variables V, C, and W were already taken in other mathematical and scientific circles.

C is the speed of light, for one.

E = Electromotive force, which is measured in volts.

P = Power, which is measured in watts.

I don't recall what I stands for.

Status
Not open for further replies.