Formula Wheel,,Not allowed at testing center {help}!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunny

It's still paper. Because they say you can't write on the test itself... Just came up with a way to remember formulas assiciateing them with word problems... 1,,,,,,, Fixied resistance =E2/P
2,,,,,,,,Power Loss =E2/R
3,,,,,,,,Heat Harmonics =I2/R
4,,,,,,,,Voltage Drops =I&R
5,,,,,,,,Volt Amperes =E&I

The other are easy,,,I=E/R , I=P/E
E=P/I
R=E/I

Thats 9 and all I can remember so if it's enough,,it is what it is,,,"rolleyes"....:).

celtic

If you asked me....which I am pretty sure you did just by posting this thread....I'd say you are becoming fixated on the math for some bizarre reason.
Repeat after me: Skip the math.....Skip the math....Skip the math.

Maybe I'm going senile or something, but I recall writing that in this post at least once before.
:D

tunny

Once again I got it ,thanks. And as I said I'm obsessive about knowing everything I can. I already have a strong code memory and can find topics in the book easlily. Soo "I'm going to skip the "math" but will come back to it and want not only to ace it but have a firm understanding of theory math again if and when I'm designing circiuts or troubleshooting Harmonics and other theory related issues. So it's o,k, to put away your kane,,,lol. I did hear you and understand you but it' s in my nature to be super detail oriented. And like I said before ,I thank you and everyone else for thier input. But for some reason I knew all this s#%t in FL 2 yrs ago but came in with a losey 60 somthing. So now no screwing around I'm banging this test "MATH" and all. Geuss it's the 13 yrs Military in me ,whatever but I'm not taking any chances. Thanks again.....

celtic

Once again I got it ,thanks. And as I said I'm obsessive about knowing everything I can. I already have a strong code memory and can find topics in the book easlily. Soo "I'm going to skip the "math" but will come back to it and want not only to ace it but have a firm understanding of theory math again if and when I'm designing circiuts or troubleshooting Harmonics and other theory related issues. So it's o,k, to put away your kane,,,lol. I did hear you and understand you but it' s in my nature to be super detail oriented. And like I said before ,I thank you and everyone else for thier input. But for some reason I knew all this s#%t in FL 2 yrs ago but came in with a losey 60 somthing. So now no screwing around I'm banging this test "MATH" and all. Geuss it's the 13 yrs Military in me ,whatever but I'm not taking any chances. Thanks again.....
icon14.gif

If you stick around here long enough....read virtually every post.....look up the references....participate a bit....ask questions....give answers....you'll pass the test WITHOUT the stinkin' code book.....even the math :)

kwired

Electron manager
The idea is to find out if you know how and where to look up the answers.

I am with you on this one.

How can you expect someone to do branch circuit and feeder calculations without using some of the tables in Article 220, or calculate conductor ampacity without table 310.16 and its notes, calculate box fill, calculate motor branch circuits and protective devices, or almost any calculations for chapter 4 items. Throw in a few questions frome chapters 5 and 6 installations and of course calculate raceway fill without tables in chapter 9.

These are all items that journeyman or higher should be able to find answers for or they are not ready to take the next step. Do they have to memorize everything I mentioned so they can answer test questions without a book? I should hope not, I have been in the trade for over 20 years and still need the book at the very least for some of the tables. It is also very handy for special installations that I may not see regularly like items from chapter 5 and 6.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Put the sticker on the back of your NFPA 72 book. It is allowed in the test and you can put it on the floor beside you.

Jim, read the first post.

Fl allows you to take your code book in because the hardest part of their exam is getting the qualifying paper work done.;)

NC is another state where you don't take anything into the exam room, they furnish the calculator, pencil, scratch paper, and code book, all of this is left in the room after the exam.

Roger

Jim Shorts

I did read the first post. NJ allows you to take your own copy of NFPA 72 and the Business law book but not the NEC. Fl also no longer requires you to qualify for the exam before taking it. All you need is money.

Jim, read the first post.

Fl allows you to take your code book in because the hardest part of their exam is getting the qualifying paper work done.;)

NC is another state where you don't take anything into the exam room, they furnish the calculator, pencil, scratch paper, and code book, all of this is left in the room after the exam.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I did read the first post. NJ allows you to take your own copy of NFPA 72 and the Business law book but not the NEC. Fl also no longer requires you to qualify for the exam before taking it. All you need is money.

I miss read your post earlier, I see you were saying NFPA 72, sorry.

Roger

Last edited:

celtic

I haven't tested since the last millennium...and I know the test has changed ~ it is now in 3 parts ...but IF they allow you to bring the materials for the other sections in while testing for another section?
That I do not know.
A recent test taker might know...

Buck Parrish

Yea this open book stuff just is not right, I could not even use my own calculator. The state supplied as many pencil and paper as needed , a Calculator. That's it. What up with open book they might as well give the answers.

The test is on how well you use the book. Since most guys carry one on their truck, any way.
Their is no way any one could memorize tables and such. May be some body but not your average guy.

Buck Parrish

If you asked me....which I am pretty sure you did just by posting this thread....I'd say you are becoming fixated on the math for some bizarre reason.
Repeat after me: Skip the math.....Skip the math....Skip the math.

Maybe I'm going senile or something, but I recall writing that in this post at least once before.
:D

Celtic, I think he might fail if he skips the math. The math is at least 30% of the NC test. But your right if he gets 70% of every thing else right. If he guesses at "all the math" He could still pass If he , out of a-b-c-d. Picks b or c . He still could get 7% of the math and pass the test.

celtic

Celtic, I think he might fail if he skips the math. The math is at least 30% of the NC test. But your right if he gets 70% of every thing else right. If he guesses at "all the math" He could still pass If he , out of a-b-c-d. Picks b or c . He still could get 7% of the math and pass the test.

As I recall [ going back to '93]....math was NOT the heavy hitter on the test.
All questions being graded the same, and math questions generally taking longer than a 3xx.30 question..I still say: Skip 'em!

BUT...I am comparing a 2 part test taken over a decade where I brought my own NEC to today's 3 part test where you cannot bring your own NEC.
Times DO change....I am not ignoring that fact.

Let's get the straight poop from someone who recently passed...I'm going to use a "lifeline"
whowantsmillionairelogo.jpg

rickymcc

I use two circles to remember ohms law when i cannot use a table.
In one i put E over I/R. In the other I put P over I/E. If you can remember these two circles, just draw them on some scratch paper when taking the test. I have attached a file that shows the two circles.( at least I hope the attachment works.)

Ricky

Jim Shorts

I have recently taken the NJ test and yes, you can take in your other reference materials for the other tests. The tests are given in succession and you just have the 3 books on your table. (NEC provided by the testing company) Take your copy of the NEC with you though. There have been times in the past where the testing company did not have enough copies for everyone. Even though they charge you a fee to rent their book, they may not have enough. I have spoken with several guys in NJ that were allowed to use their copy of the NEC. The math part is about 20% of the test. A couple of range and dryer calculations. 1 calculation of electricity costs when resistance, voltage and costs per kw/hr is known. 1 calculation of the ground fault potential at the end of a circuit and several ohms law questions.

hillbilly

If you're taking more than one exam to get the license, you may want to take them at seperate times....if allowed.

When I took the Tennessee Contractor's Exam, I was required to take 2 tests.
Tennessee Business and Law, and the EC (code) Exam.

The law exam is 2 hours long, and the CE exam is 4 hours long.
There is no break between the exams.
There is also no lunch break, and you can't leave the exam room other than to go to the restroom, which was adjacent to the exam room, and the clock was still ticking.
No coffee or smoke break.:mad:

When I signed in to take the exams. the Proctor asked me if I was taking both exams that day?????.....Yes I replied, I didn't know that I had other options.

Well, he replied, most people take them one at a time....on different days.
Uh Oh......Yes, I'm taking them both today.:roll:

At the end of the exams, my mind was so muddled that I wasn't sure if I had passed or not.
I had a bad feeling, that maybe I failed because by the end of the exam, the words were running together.

You get your score immediately at the end of the exam.
I passed....whew....although my scores weren't as high as I desired..
But passing is passing, and I was very relieved.

If I had it to do over (and I'm glad that I don't), I would have taken the tests on different days.
If only to avoid all of the stress that I went through to finish both.

Also, I used my own code Book (with tabs).
It also had the Ohm's Law wheel on the back.

steve

celtic

If you're taking more than one exam to get the license, you may want to take them at seperate times....if allowed.

You have that option in NJ ~ but only if you fail one of the 3 parts that must be taken in one day :D
When you re-test...you only take what you failed :mad:

RonPecinaJr

You will have to know Ohm's Law for certain parts of the test without a doubt. I passed the test in April '09 (NEC I scored an 88) and what I did every day before studying is write down on paper all 12 formula's. I don't recall if they ever asked a question looking for resistance when all they gave was watts and voltage though.

I would highly suggest taking an exam prep course because there are questions on there that you will not be able to find quickly and believe me you will need to find answers quickly if you expect to pass the exam.

Good luck.

RonPecinaJr

Thanks guys,, I actually remember 8 of them and can do all the math.Just finished re reading Mike Holts theory book and I can do all the math, not a big deal. I've allways been real good with code remembering and quoteing art numbers and content. Familiar with all the use of the charts in the back of NEC. My problem like someone said is I over think it, and freak out inside. I'm gonna do the code class I think it's Chec's or something in Bordentown NJ, I have it saved, gonna send my dep tommorow.Like I said took test's for 5yrs of NJ apprenticeship don't know why this one is twisting me up.Some reason word qeustons mess me up, even when I know the answer it's like I don't get the qeuston clearly.

That's the one! Alan Chech is a great instructor. He doesn't fool around. I did my prep with him and would definitely make the trip down there for continuing education courses. If you are there to learn how to pass the test you will do well. You need to apply yourself and most importantly listen to what he is saying. Definitely get a good nights sleep before each of his classes and you'll do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.