Formula Wheel,,Not allowed at testing center {help}!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevlander

should be allowed

should be allowed

I never understand why the basic formulas are not already in the back of the NEC. They are just formulas, not answers. They should be there as reference. You need to pick and choose which one you need to use and learn how to do them. Doctors have reference books by the score, they cannot remember everything, but they need to know what to do with the information when they get. An electrician should'nt need to remember every formula, but should be able to read and decide which he needs and know how to perform the math. When I took the test , I recorded my own voice repeating the formulas (and there are many more than just the 12 ohms law formulas) and I would play it over and over or my ride to work and everytime I studied. It was monotonous, but it worked. I did the math and got a 90 the 1st time. 1st thing you do before you start the test is write every formula you can think of on the scrap paper they give you. Do this first while yor head is clear and you have't been stressed by even the 1st question. Study ,study, study, and good luck!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The code wheel is a bad idea IMHO.

There are really only two formulas you need to remember.

I=E/R and P=I*E.

All the rest on the code wheel are simple derivations of those formulas that are simple algebra.

If it makes you feel better, draw your own code wheel on the scratch paper they give you.

I haven't had to take much in the way of tests in a long while but back in the day, the first thing I did with closed book tests that might use math formulas of some sort was to write them down on a piece of scratch paper, deriving them if necessary.

You'd be surprised how much easier it is if you actually understand the formulas rather than just blindly plugging numbers into them.

prh1700

If you just relax....
take the test ~ know what you know, don't know what you don't know.....
review to be sure you answered all questions...
You will pass....
with an 86....
and 7.5 minutes to spare.

Did you come to that conclusion by spinning that colored wheel around really fast and then staring into it until the voices spoke?

celtic

Did you come to that conclusion by spinning that colored wheel around really fast and then staring into it until the voices spoke?

I got one of these:
hc2.jpg

...AND a tinfoil helmet.

I'm pretty much good-to-go
icon14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.