bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneforthree

four sets of feeders pulled from gear to pullbox then to a mdp.all conduits have bond bushings. i landed the ground wire thru the bond bushing lugs at all points. the inspector says i should not have done this i should have let the ground go thru and put a jumper from all the bushings ay each point total of 4 conduits at 4 locations and pulled thru4 bushings and into a ground bar.
this would give me a bond at panel at gear and two in the pull box.

opinions THANKS

mcclary's electrical

Your post is slightly confusing,,,but if all you bonded was the bushings, then he's right. You gotta get the box too. His method would have accomplished this and yours did not(if i understand you correctly) sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this on the load side of the service disconnect? If there are no concentric or eccentric KO's then the bonding bushings are not required.

mcclary's electrical

You could be right, IMO that article reads 1) if conductors are spliced within box 2) terminated on equipment within box 3) or supported by box

so, to me, his cables are suppored bythe box. I certainly could be wrong,,,but if they're laying in the can, he's got you.Although I will say there's room for interprtation meaning "supported by box"

Smart $

Esteemed Member
At the gear and mdp, the bonding can be done either way... and neither way is more correct than the other. As for at the pull box, you could have pulled straight through without any bonding.

EDIT to add} AT the pull box, you could have, though not required, ran a single bonding jumper connected to box and through all bonding bushings, without tapping/splicing the grounding conductors. This extra measure would be considered an arrangement to ensure continuity of grounding.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You could be right, IMO that article reads 1) if conductors are spliced within box 2) terminated on equipment within box 3) or supported by box

so, to me, his cables are suppored bythe box. I certainly could be wrong,,,but if they're laying in the can, he's got you.Although I will say there's room for interprtation meaning "supported by box"

Mc, you are reading it wrong, IMO. What you have itemized as 2 and 3 are infact just one issue. Note the placement of commas...
..., or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, ...​
The phrase "supported by a box" is in reference to the equipment in the clause, not the wires.

Last edited:

hurk27

Are you sure about that. 250.148 says only if conductors are spliced.

:confused: Where does one read 250.148 to require a bonding bushing?:confused:

250.148 is about making splices in a metal box using an aproved method. like using a wire nut to make up all the grounding wires instead of just twisting them together. no where in there does it require a bonding bushing, concentric or not!
By the way concentric KO's are UL listed for conduit as an EGC;)

only a few places in the NEC require a bonding bushing, and it is either ahead of the service related or GEC related.

mcclary's electrical

Him and I got on a "sidenote" on wheter the "can" needed to be bonded,,,,,we weren't talking About the bonding bushings. Sorry if we confused anyone

hurk27

If it was "SEC's then it is only the bonding of the race way and box's is an issue. The raceway is only required to be bonded on one end. one end at the CT cabnet, and other end at the MDP, box inbetween could just be bonded once from one pipe,
if these are feeders then just lock nuts are required wrench tight.

Only a metal race way protecting a GEC is require to be made electriclly continous.

Status
Not open for further replies.