People are funny..actual email reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Just politely decline and explain why. Most people like to haggle and he may not realize this is not one of those times. There is nothing wrong with you expressing your concerns about any preliminary/parallel work and how it adds time because you have to go back and verify your work. Just explain it to him like you would to a buddy.

See if you can make him understand you are just not comfortable operating that way while providing a quality product that you will stand behind.

If he refuses to understand and insists he can do the work "just as good", then either find a price that will cover you certifying his work or let the job go.

okeefe

Tell him him the truth that you are responsible for a complete install, and can not cut corners. Home owners always think that they can save money by doing a little of the job, the only thing I let a customer do is dig a ditch and move there stuff out of the way. We are in business to make money, not to give away our work, so we make less.

480sparky

Next time my teeth need work, I'm gonna ask my dentist if I can administer my own novacaine in order to save some money.

Some day I'll get on an airplane, and I'll ask the pilot if it's OK for me to scrimp on my fare and land the plane myself.

If I ever need surgery, I'll save a bundle by taking the scalpel in my own hand and............

mivey

Next time my teeth need work, I'm gonna ask my dentist if I can administer my own novacaine in order to save some money.

Some day I'll get on an airplane, and I'll ask the pilot if it's OK for me to scrimp on my fare and land the plane myself.

If I ever need surgery, I'll save a bundle by taking the scalpel in my own hand and............
Physician, heal thyself

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I gave a customer a price to change out all the switches and receptacles in his house.

He e-mailed me back saying it was too much and wanted to know how much he would save if he removed the cover plates and the screws from the devices, then have me replace the devices, then he would screw the devices to the box and install the cover plates.
I would tell him he'd save 7 cents per device.

quogueelectric

I went to look at this job. The guy wants his utilities put underground because they are unsightly. I come up with a plan, lay the job out, and email an estimate.

I probably have two-three hours in on this job already.

Here's the general scope of the work to be done from an email I sent to the customer

We're looking at $2898.50 to do the work we discussed.

Install conduits for telephone cable and power from pole to house
Install pull strings in phone and cable conduits
Install power wiring in conduit from pole to meter socket on house front corner
Install new 200 amp circuit breaker panel in front corner of basement
Refeed existing service panel in basement

All materials supplied by Scott Stevens Electrical
All excavating and back filling to be done by others

Here's the reply...

Hi Scott. CFO says we have to cut corners. Would you let me purchase the conduit(s) and put them in the trench? I'd run the wires and strings. How much would this save me, if anything and is there anything else I could do myself? Thank you

Im pondering my reply to this but needless to say there is no chance I'll be part of that approach to the job. There are too many things that he can screw up not to mention the permit will be under my name.

If I were to go for this I can guarantee the stock list he's sure to ask me for will cost more than the "savings" he's hoping for.

Just another day in the contracting biz! :)
I would let him start by digging the trench himselfwith a shovel. This will save him money and teach him a lesson.

aline

I gave a customer a seperate price for the trenching and backfilling for power to a hot tub.

He thought the price for trenching and backfilling was too much so he decided he would do it himself to save money.

He dug about 2 feet of trench around 6 inches deep and decided my price wasn't so bad after all.

This was some very rocky soil. It was only a 25 foot trench but it was a tough dig.

Kdog76

I rent a trencher when the digging job is mine.

For a 25' trench? By the time I go get the trencher, get the trencher hooked up on the van, drive to the job, unload it, load it back it up, bring it back it, have them top off the gas tank, sign for it, I've got about 2-3 hours wrapped up without any time on the trenching machine... For me, I'll dig it until it gets about 75-100' out depending on soil conditions.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For a 25' trench?
For 2' deep, heck yeah!

By the time I go get the trencher, get the trencher hooked up on the van, drive to the job, unload it, load it back it up, bring it back it, have them top off the gas tank, sign for it, I've got about 2-3 hours wrapped up without any time on the trenching machine...
... all of which is paid for by the customer, if they opt to have me do the digging.

For me, I'll dig it until it gets about 75-100' out depending on soil conditions.
Not me. I have to be able to work the rest of the day, and week, and month, and ...

There's no way I can do that kind of work anymore. 30 years ago, maybe, but not now.

Added: I'' take that 2 to 3 hours of renting, trailering, etc., over the same 2 to 3 hours of digging any day.

Also added: The finishing-touches of hand work necessary even with a trencher is bad enough.

Last edited:

electricmanscott

Added: I'' take that 2 to 3 hours of renting, trailering, etc., over the same 2 to 3 hours of digging any day.

[.

Seriously! I was thinking the same thing.

I drive by a church almost daily where I did some pole lights years ago and every time I give myself a smack in the back of the head for hand digging that job.

bradleyelectric

I just work on another area of the job. A guy comes and unloads the machine, does the digging, loads it back up while his laborers give it the final touches, I shake his hand, give him the check, and if I need some help with general labor on the rest of the job they give me a hand before they leave. I figure it's cheaper than the time it would take me to do it and he is responsible for the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.