disconnect for above ground pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Bob
What do you think of 430.83(A)(2) in regards to this topic?

If you had taken the time to read the thread you would know what I think.:roll: :grin:

It seems that to pass inspection all the electrician has to say is the cord and plug is the disconnecting means and the breaker is the controller. Unfortunately we know the HO is going to end up using the plug as a controller. IMO this is a lousy set up but the code does not really address it.

Last edited:

romeo

Yeah but he was really thinking of controlling the motor. :)

I know, and I am very shocked it happened here. :grin:

That is correct Bob.I agree that a cap and cord are fine for maintenance disconnecting,but using it as a controller is very poor design.Thank you for pointing out that it is a violation.

Doesn't 430.81(A) limit the use of the breaker as the controller to a 1/8hp motor?

romeo

Hey, Bob
Don't be upset about the Yanks taking the division. I am sure the Yanks and Boston will be seeing each other again very soon. :D

I agree to that also it ain't over till its over. Go Red Sox

Sorry got my mind off of pool motor controllers LOL

iwire

Staff member
I read you post, I posted a different section number than yours.

Sorry I am missing your point, I am fully aware of the section you posted. :-?

You posted 430.83(A)(2) which is about using a breaker as the controller which is allowed, which I have not disagreed with.

I have been saying it is a code legal, yet poor design to leave the HO with virtually no choice but to use the cord and plug as the controller when doing pool maintenance tasks.

Sorry I am missing your point, I am fully aware of the section you posted. :-?

You posted 430.83(A)(2) which is about using a breaker as the controller which is allowed, which I have not disagreed with.

I have been saying it is a code legal, yet poor design to leave the HO with virtually no choice but to use the cord and plug as the controller when doing pool maintenance tasks.

I cannot speak for other jurisdictions, but I cannot remember seeing a switch at pool pump locations when they are cord & plug connected. I do not see that as such a bad design.

iwire

Staff member
I cannot speak for other jurisdictions, but I cannot remember seeing a switch at pool pump locations when they are cord & plug connected. I do not see that as such a bad design.

You don't think almost forcing the HO to violate the safety rules of the NEC is a bad design. :confused:

Having had pools while growing up, and service pools as a teenager I think not having a switch right beside the other pool controls is extremely poor design.

romeo

I see it all the time.A switch to control the receptical.

romeo

You don't think almost forcing the HO to violate the safety rules of the NEC is a bad design. :confused:

Having had pools while growing up, and service pools as a teenager I think not having a switch right beside the other pool controls is extremely poor design.

I agree,and so does the inspector that got me going on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.