knocking out knockouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wizard

Anyone have a good trick or technique on how to easily knockout concentric or eccentric KO's without taking more rings out than you want? I usually will bend one of the outer rings and have to bend it back, but is there an easier way?

Kdog76

Take your time & look at the configuration of knockout openings. Usually the tool & die setup from the factory are not set that deep to make it that easy. I know meter sockets esp. are hard to do.
I've found a screwdriver & lineman's combo still work the best. Some need to be knocked out from the inside of the enclosure instead of the outside. The center opening is usually the easiest to pry off & you can work out from there, prying a little w/ a screwdriver one side at a time.
After you get to the outermost ring that you need & open it up a little, you can see the tabs on each side that are holding it in place to the next size up. Lineman's plies & screwdriver with work piece on a stable position, you can knock the remaining steel holding the ring in place. A few good thumps (watch your fingers) on each one & should give way.
PITA, you bet, but be smart & be safe.

Last edited:

yired29

I like to drill out the small weld spots for the concentric I would like removed. Use a 1/8 inch drill bit. When done correctly a soft whack will knock it out without disturbing the remaining ko's. I'm sure the previous methods work just as good.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I like to drill out the small weld spots for the concentric I would like removed. Use a 1/8 inch drill bit. When done correctly a soft whack will knock it out without disturbing the remaining ko's.

My preferred method also.

ceb58

I like to drill out the small weld spots for the concentric I would like removed. Use a 1/8 inch drill bit. When done correctly a soft whack will knock it out without disturbing the remaining ko's. I'm sure the previous methods work just as good.

I have done that with a metal cutting bit for my cordless roto zip. Cut the weld spots and pop it out.

yired29

UL White Book
Outlet Bushings And Fittings (QCRV)

Go to Grounding
The first paragraph is where you will find the reference I was alluding to

In the requirements paragraph it states:
The basic standards used to investigate products min this category are............ "Schedule 40 and 80 Rigid PVC Conduit and fittings."

But in the grounding paragraph it states:
"Reducing washers are intended for use with metal enclosures."

So IMO you could use reducing washers on a PVC raceway as long as it was in a metal enclosure??

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.