250.122 (b) Increased in size

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

This is a question that came from another thread. Can a 30 amp breaker be on a #8 NM Wire and meet 250.122 (b)? # 8 NM cable has a #10 equipment ground wire

raider1

Staff member
IMHO No.

The EGC must be increased in size proportional to the increase in size of the ungrounded conductors. So for a 30 amp breaker the EGC must be the same size as the ungrounded conductors.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
My interpretation of this is referring to table 250.122 first, so #10 is good all the way to 60 amps.

You must apply all code sections, not just the ones you like. :grin:

250.122(B) requires an 8 AWG EGC for the installation the OP describes.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Chris. It does not matter how far down the table a #10 EGC can still be used. What matters is the conductor size that could have been used for the load conditions (in this case, a #10 conductor for a 30 amp breaker), and what size conductor is actually installed (in this case, a #8 conductor). You have increased the size of the ungrounded conductor from #10 to #8, and you must therefore increase the size of the EGC in a proportional amount. That means you need a #8 EGC in this situation.

raider1

Staff member
My interpretation of this is referring to table 250.122 first, so #10 is good all the way to 60 amps.

250.122(B) requires that when ungrounded conductors are increased in size (Say for voltage drop) then the EGC's run with them must also be increased in size proportional to the up size of the ungrounded conductors.

So for example #10 copper conductors connected to a 30 amp breaker are up sized for voltage drop to a #8. Therefore the EGC run with the ungrounded conductors must also be up size the same proportion. So a 30 amp overcurrent device requires a #10 EGC with #10 ungrounded conductors in accordance with Table 250.122 and if the ungrounded conductor are increased to a #8 then the EGC must also be increased to a #8.

Chris

damiank_1

IMHO No.

The EGC must be increased in size proportional to the increase in size of the ungrounded conductors. So for a 30 amp breaker the EGC must be the same size as the ungrounded conductors.

Chris

if the ungrounded conductors were increased to reduce voltage drop do you still need to increase the EGC also?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
if the ungrounded conductors were increased to reduce voltage drop do you still need to increase the EGC also?

If you increase the size of the ungrounded conductor for a reason as simple as 'its all I had on the truck' you would still have to comply.

raider1

Staff member
If you increase the size of the ungrounded conductor for a reason as simple as 'its all I had on the truck' you would still have to comply.

Agreed. The term "voltage drop" was dropped from 250.122(B) so no matter what the reason for the increase in the size of the ungrounded conductors you must also increase the EGC.

Chris

This is a question that came from another thread. Can a 30 amp breaker be on a #8 NM Wire and meet 250.122 (b)? # 8 NM cable has a #10 equipment ground wire

Now that I have fallen on my sword. What if I have this scenario and put the 30 amp breaker in to protect temporary equipment, and the final piece will be a need a 40 amp breaker and 8-2? Let's say it a Dryer change out. and the new dryer isn't here yet? Would this not satisfy 250.122(b)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You just hit upon the weirdest aspect of this rule. If you use a 30 amp breaker with #8 wire, then the EGC must be #8. If you use a 40 amp breaker with #8 wire, you can use a #10 EGC. Go figure. :confused:

iwire

Staff member
Now that I have fallen on my sword. What if I have this scenario and put the 30 amp breaker in to protect temporary equipment, and the final piece will be a need a 40 amp breaker and 8-2? Let's say it a Dryer change out. and the new dryer isn't here yet? Would this not satisfy 250.122(b)

Code wise you can not have a 30 amp circuit with 8 AWG circuit conductors and a 10 AWG EGC even for temporary installations.

Install a 40 amp breaker and your all set, yes I know it does not make sense but it is what the words in the NEC require. :)

BigJohn20

Say for the sake we're considering this an old installation, wouldn't you be violating the condition to have either SE cable or an insulated grounded conductor anyway?

Since you're essentially running a new circuit, and having a new installation for the dryer, wouldn't you need to have a 4 wire installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.