Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrannis

Anybody using Windows 7 yet?

I have been using it for a month.

Just started up the computer, it took 90 seconds to boot up to my user account and a total of 100 seconds to open Firefox and log onto this forum.

I think it would have taken almost four minutes for Vista to do that?

Has anyone had any problems migrating estimating or managing software?
My Quickbooks works perfect.

mivey

Just started this weekend. Had a lock-up on the first update. Power-off required.

Ran fine after that.

It is W7 Home. I have not determined if I need to get the Pro version yet.

I have been using XP Pro and I like it. I just had a new computer built, and I had them put XP in it. I will stay with XP until someone can definitively prove there is a really better program out there that is worth the $$ to move to.

jrannis

I have been using XP Pro and I like it. I just had a new computer built, and I had them put XP in it. I will stay with XP until someone can definitively prove there is a really better program out there that is worth the $$ to move to.

I think its a solid as XP but not the RAM hog that Vista was. I like the feature that you can view and work on two open programs at the same time.
But, then again, I didn't have any real problems with Vista that I know of. My IT guy remotes in and fixes stuff for me, and I use the automatic updates.

How much did you pay to upgrade?

I use 2-24 inch screens, and sometimes I may have 10 windows open. My computer guy optimized my new computer, it is screaming fast. Although for my visits here, I am on my laptop with another 24 inch screen connected to the laptop. I also have a number of open windows here as well.

I used to buy a new car every 2 years, I used to upgrade before the upgrades even were available.
I just sold my car - 10 years old and plan on keeping my new car for years. I have not upgraded my windows platform, although I have upgraded the computer(s). :D

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Which copy are people using, the 32 or 64 bit? Did anyone have any trouble getting a program to migrate to W7?

Looks like I will get to see W7 first hand this afternoon on a new laptop.

Sparky555

Anybody using Windows 7 yet?

I have been using it for a month.

Just started up the computer, it took 90 seconds to boot up to my user account and a total of 100 seconds to open Firefox and log onto this forum.

I think it would have taken almost four minutes for Vista to do that?

Has anyone had any problems migrating estimating or managing software?
My Quickbooks works perfect.

I switched to a Mac over a month ago. I was pretty disappointed.
1) An empty space on my desk where a tower used to be.
2) No preloaded free 3 month garbage trials on my desktop and hard drive.
3) No need to uninstall and reinstall software that didn't take kindly to the speed-loading process.
4) Extra software I've never seen before (Time Machine) I bought a 1 TB external hard drive and have automatic backup of the entire Mac. All I did was plug it in and click OK. I missed all the conflict and configuring.
5) I miss antivirus software. Why does the antivirus software have to be free forever?
6) It's way too fast. There's no need to turn it off so software opens instantly and it's way too productive. Just for fun I did quit all the software and unplugged it. In 40 seconds I could once again go anywhere instantly.
7) I miss the error messages.
8) I really miss the stress.

MarkyMarkNC

I've had it on my new laptop for a couple of months now. It seems to run smoother than Vista. No problems with it so far.

Personally, aside from security issues, I would just as well use a computer with Window 98SE on it. I still use Office 2003. If it wasn't for the fact that Quickbooks practically makes you upgrade every three years, I would still be using Quickbooks 2003. I can't think of the last time an "upgraded" program has come out that was an actually useful upgrade.

cadpoint

If you want to read some reviews go to ZDnet.com, most but not all are free lance writers, they also have a newsletter that is free.

The newsletter reflects a lot of business related computer news with sprinklings of various software reviews.

I've heard and read that it is not a direct migration from XP to windows 7, IE not just as simple as throwing in the next disc, one will have to read up.

As far as Mac with virus's will it can't so much my get them it can distribute them.

cruzJD

I didn?t have many issues with XP pro. I got a vista laptop and had problems with a few things and was told I needed vista pro. Once on vista pro I?ve had no issues once everything was loaded. I?m not ready for win 7 yet.

I do have a Mac and I use it for some stuff but I found it to be a PITA with everyone in the office not using Mac. The more I play with it the more I like it.

Sparky555

I've heard and read that it is not a direct migration from XP to windows 7, IE not just as simple as throwing in the next disc, one will have to read up.

I did a little reading on snow leopard vs windows 7 last weekend. I believe one of the articles said if you're running XP it's likely you need a new PC, not a disk upgrade.

cadpoint

I do agree with some of those thoughts, but first I don't believe that Mr. Bill would make another bad mistake in bring out a new platform. :cool:

Secondly, most CPU's have a cycle life to themselves and to the software that?s written for them, thus the tragic part of it all.

mivey

I do agree with some of those thoughts, but first I don't believe that Mr. Bill would make another bad mistake in bring out a new platform. :cool:
Yeah, he would never let that happen more than once. :grin: (I could not find an emoticon that oozed enough sarcasm so I went with the grin).

electricmanscott

3) No need to uninstall and reinstall software that didn't take kindly to the speed-loading process.
4) Extra software I've never seen before (Time Machine) I bought a 1 TB external hard drive and have automatic backup of the entire Mac. All I did was plug it in and click OK. I missed all the conflict and configuring.
5) I miss antivirus software. Why does the antivirus software have to be free forever?
6) It's way too fast. There's no need to turn it off so software opens instantly and it's way too productive. Just for fun I did quit all the software and unplugged it. In 40 seconds I could once again go anywhere instantly.

What does this have to do with Windows 7?

rich000

Awesome! I agree.

I love the preview feature by hitting the spacebar.

The hard part is when I have to use a Windows computer and can't do the same things on my Mac.

TOOL_5150

I did a little reading on snow leopard vs windows 7 last weekend. I believe one of the articles said if you're running XP it's likely you need a new PC, not a disk upgrade.

Thats so rediculous that it is funny.

New operating systems always have bugs. Why someone would want to put their business in danger by being on the bleeding edge of technology is way past me, yet people still run out and buy the newest version...

I wont consider upgrading for at least 6 months or after the first service pack comes out. So far XP Pro has been the best OS they made. Though, 2000 was pretty darn stable - just slower.

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.