Location of receptacles for gas ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

I don't mean to be rude, it just seems like he/she went through all the trouble to ask us, and couldn't even wait 5 minutes to see what we had to say. Especially when the first two replies asked a question to clarify details. If it was even 15 minutes before anybody replied at all I'd understand.

Welcome to the life of a web forum:grin: also known as a public Bulletin Board

you are allowed to walk away
(even though some of us don't seem to have another life and seem to always be on here:roll:)
and come back at a later time.

I need a life:roll:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So what could possibly be the inspector's issue? Does he want the receptacle to be readily accessible?

mkdm0

OP

OP

Sorry,

I had to go on an emergency service call. I thank you all for your responses, the inspector didn't cite any code refrerences for wanting the receptacle moved. They do things kind of different there, I had one of their electrical inspectors ask me how to check a capacator a few years ago.

Plus, I'm not used to people coming back to me right away on chat boards, but thank you all.

e57

My partner was just turned down on inspection for the receptacle serving a gas range. The receptacle is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit located 2 feet below the top of the range, the inspector wants it moved 16" to the right of the stove, this will put it above the counter top and out of reach of the supplied cord, or into the cabinet where the cord would be subject to damage from pots, pans etc.

Is there any reason for this?
This is a very common requirement here! (Not everywhere! Interpations & practice vary do they not?) The recpt for the range is a disconnecting means, and for it to be accessible without some ol' lady or weak man having to remove or shift the 250 - 500 Lbs range we put the outlet low in the adjacent cabinet. (right next to the gas shut off most often ;)) Truthfully I find it far less subject to damage than it would be mashed behind a hot range... And on top of all that - for trouble shooting purposes - you never have to move a range/oven anymore to find a 50A recpt with a toasty terminal....

hurk27

This is a very common requirement here! (Not everywhere! Interpations & practice vary do they not?) The recpt for the range is a disconnecting means, and for it to be accessible without some ol' lady or weak man having to remove or shift the 250 - 500 Lbs range we put the outlet low in the adjacent cabinet. (right next to the gas shut off most often ;)) Truthfully I find it far less subject to damage than it would be mashed behind a hot range... And on top of all that - for trouble shooting purposes - you never have to move a range/oven anymore to find a 50A recpt with a toasty terminal....

So what is your call on the 1200lb . refrigerator (with food) because not all come on wheels?:confused:

and what code do you cite for the above gas range? because 422.33(B) even says it is for electric ranges? and 422.33(A) only requires it to be accessible?

mkdm0

It's a gas stove not electric and with the proper spacing from the wall the plug is accessable but below the control panel. I've never had a problem with an inspector before with installing one in the same place.

We cannot read his mind, as I am sure your buddy cannot either.

The best way to handle this is to ask the inspector what his concern is and why move the receptacle. Explain to him that the receptacle behind the refrigerator is similar as the one behind the range.

Cavie

I don't mean to be rude, it just seems like he/she went through all the trouble to ask us, and couldn't even wait 5 minutes to see what we had to say. Especially when the first two replies asked a question to clarify details. If it was even 15 minutes before anybody replied at all I'd understand.

Some people have a life that does not include this forum. Imagen that.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
:grin:I bet that the inspector saw a outlet in adjacent cabinet and liked it. Little did that stupid inspector realize is that the EC goofed and placed in the wrong cabinet and just lucked out. :cool:

e57

So what is your call on the 1200lb . refrigerator (with food) because not all come on wheels?:confused:

and what code do you cite for the above gas range? because 422.33(B) even says it is for electric ranges? and 422.33(A) only requires it to be accessible?
Reffers and all other appliances fastened in place are handled the same here. Thats like saying the jaccuzzi recept is accessible by removing the tub... An access hatch is made, or the outlet is located so as to be accessible. Sub-zero's larger ones - even though they are on wheels often have a removable panel. Additionally if it has screws holding it in my neck of the woods it would also need to be accessible by other than removing the unit - i.e. dishwashers and under cab reffers, etc. "Accessible" is up to the AHJ to decide what that means...

It's a gas stove not electric and with the proper spacing from the wall the plug is accessable but below the control panel. I've never had a problem with an inspector before with installing one in the same place.
Gas stove but requires a power for the ignitor - yeah so? It would still need to be accessible. In quake country appliances over a certain wieght need to be anti-tip, and often the tip bracket holds the unit too close to the wall. And what is "proper spacing from the wall"? If what I think you are saying is that if some poor soul wants to disconnect power for the stove - they must jamb their fingers between the wall and a grounded surface and inch it out by the tips of thier fingers at risk of shock? Maybe they will resort to use of a screw driver to pry the plug out of the socket? How do the plug it back in? :roll: Anyway - not saying the interpetation is right or wrong - but - if you adopt the practice there are some benefits to it.... ;) Say you have another circuit in the box and/or something goes wrong, or the plumber gets to it before you trim - you don't get stuck moving a stove, oven or reffer... :cool:

Also if you do get stuck moving it - avoid putting it above.... Other building codes have distance limits to combustables...

e57

:grin:I bet that the inspector saw a outlet in adjacent cabinet and liked it. Little did that stupid inspector realize is that the EC goofed and placed in the wrong cabinet and just lucked out. :cool:
There are actually some appliances that specify the adjacent cabinet as a power location.... On thier own accord outside of the inspector interpetation.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The recpt for the range is a disconnecting means, and for it to be accessible without some ol' lady or weak man having to remove or shift the 250 - 500 Lbs range we put the outlet low in the adjacent cabinet.
So, where's the accessible disco for the refrigerator? Did he want that one moved, also? ;)

I'd slap a breaker lockout tab on the breaker before I'd relocate the receptacle, if his decision was upheld in appeal.

e57

So, where's the accessible disco for the refrigerator? Did he want that one moved, also? ;)

I'd slap a breaker lockout tab on the breaker before I'd relocate the receptacle, if his decision was upheld in appeal.
I dunno - NMJ... I think in the '08 is not the Main a suitable disconnecting means in one family dwelling? (I'm still on the 05)

electricmanscott

Accessible" is up to the AHJ to decide what that means...

I'm not so sure about that. The NEC defines what accesible is and I would think the AHJ, where the NEC is adopted, would have to go by that definition.

As far as the op's situation, a bunch of bunk I say. A receptacle is absolutely allowed behind a gas range.

The real question is why did he install a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the gas range?

Status
Not open for further replies.