"3 way" switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsh

Can anyone tell me where the name "3 way" switch came from? I know it is a single pole double throw switch. I believe they are called "2 way" switches in some other countries.

480sparky

From a 1921 Arrow-Hart catalog:

3ways4waysname.jpg

Notice the top right wiring diagram. The text says 'point', but the diagram says 'way'. Maybe back in those days the terms were used interchageably, and 'way' eventually won out.

3 screws means 3-way

What about SPST Center-Off?

4 screws means 4-way

What about DPST? SPTT?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think of the word "way" in the context of "roadway." Consider a road that diverges into two roads at a "three way intersection." The word "way," in the phrase "three way intersection," does not refer to what is happening at the intersection itself (i.e., internal to the 3-way switch), but rather to the one way you came from and the two ways you could go to.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
From a 1921 Arrow-Hart catalog:

The text says 'point', but the diagram says 'way'. Maybe back in those days the terms were used interchageably, and 'way' eventually won out.
I also note, and like, the hot and neutral being labeled as "main".

Interesting stuff, Ken!

highvolts582

ha

ha

My teacher used to offer a reward to the student who could make 2 single pole switches work like a 3 way. Yes people tried. no not me. Thanks Mr C. from jackson voc.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My teacher used to offer a reward to the student who could make 2 single pole switches work like a 3 way. Yes people tried. no not me. Thanks Mr C. from jackson voc.
Call Mr. C. and tell him you can do it if you turn one switch upside down and fashion a handle-tie so they operate together.

Connect one terminal of each switch together and use this as your common, and the remaining terminals are your travelers.

480sparky

Personally, I think it's a throw-back to the old knife switches. A SPDT can be used as a 3-way, but with a center off.

So you have 3 'ways' the switch could be positioned.... power between the common and terminal 1, power between the common and terminal 2, and off.

spdt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.