Island Recept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

Is a kitchen island receptacle required to be GFI-protected? I can't seem to find the info. in my code book. Thanks in advance.

A-1Sparky

It hasn't been inspected yet, but I didn't see the need for a GFI mounted on the side of an island. Island countertop, yes. But this would be more of a convenience outlet.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Technically, if you can place something on the island countertop and plug it into the receptacle without an extension cord, that receptacle is serving the countertop.

If the receptacle is more than 12" below the top of the countertop it does not count as serving the island. 210.52(C)(5). I would guess that an applicance with a 2' cord could still reach an outlet that is more than 12" below the countertop surface.

Occupation
Inspector
You are required to install a receptacle on the island and it's sole purpose is to serve the counter.

If the receptacle is more than 12" below the top of the countertop it does not count as serving the island. 210.52(C)(5). I would guess that an applicance with a 2' cord could still reach an outlet that is more than 12" below the countertop surface.

As I see it, one receptacle can't serve both the requirement for countertop(s) and convience if more that 12" below the countertop.

raider1

Staff member
As I see it, one receptacle can't serve both the requirement for countertop(s) and convience if more that 12" below the countertop.

If the receptacle is more than 12" below the countertop then it can't count as the required receptacle for the countertop. (See the exception to 210.52(C)(5))

Chris

Occupation
Inspector
If the receptacle is more than 12" below the countertop then it can't count as the required receptacle for the countertop. (See the exception to 210.52(C)(5))

Chris

That is what I was trying to say. One receptacle is required and can't be more that 12" below the countertop. So, if you want the receptacle lower you would need to install a second receptacle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You are required to install a receptacle on the island and it's sole purpose is to serve the counter.

Technically, if you can place something on the island countertop and plug it into the receptacle without an extension cord, that receptacle is serving the countertop.

My response was to K8MHZ's response for a test to see if a receptacle is actually serving a counter top. If the receptacle is more than 12" below the countertop surface his test is no longer correct.

A-1Sparky

This receptacle is more than 12" below the countertop. I thought that it would meet the requirement for an island recept., but wouldn't have to have GFI protection. I guess I need a second recept. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.