How many times to bother a lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Maybe sitting out in his driveway for a few minutes yesterday wasn't the smoothest move either.

13135__say_anythiing_l.jpg

:D

Funny. Instead of a boombox, it should be a bullhorn. lol.

Ohmy

We were called out to take a look at a basement remodel. I went out, looked it over, sketched a layout, discussed it, and upon leaving, told him it would be a few days before we had a price to him, and he said ok.

Well, a couple of days wound up being about a week, which I do feel bad about. But he wasn't looking to start for a couple months anyway, so I'm not sure if the delay contributed - but I haven't heard a response.

I called the morning after I emailed the proposal and it went straight to voicemail, emailed after a couple days, and then called and caught him "at a bad time" and he said he'd call back in a little bit, he never did.

I waited a day or two, and then sent an email saying that I didn't intend to harass him, but hadn't heard anything definitive and that our SOP was to have a conversation with the customer before walking away. Haven't heard a word.

I am not a born salesman, I don't enjoy bothering people excessively - but I'm just not sure what the status is and would like to scratch this off my to-do list, one way or the other.

How many times would you call/email a potential customer? At this point, I'm ready to let it drift away. Do you have a procedure for this sort of thing?

Let it go. The continued phone calls are irritating and make you look disparate. Go on and get the next job.

zappy

I don't think they do. I know I don't.

I had my driveway redone this year. I got 9, that's right 9 FREE estimates. I called one back. The only reason I called him back was to beat him down on his price. It worked and he got the job.

You can't be serious? After 2-3 I can't take it anymore!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is something to knowing if you have the job or not, so at least you can plan for it.
We have a paragraph in our proposal/contract that specifies expected start time after receiving the signature, typically 1 or 2 weeks, and expected completion within X number of days.

While we like to give every customer the impression they're our best one, to expect you to be sitting by the phone awaiting their call just about borders on psychotic behavior.

RonPecinaJr

I'm going through the same thing with a customer that is a regular customer of another EC who asked me to call this guy and do the job. So I drove down there looked at the job, gave the GC a price for a kitchen and a separate number for a 2-family service on the same house. You would think the guy would at least have the common courtesy to call back or return an email.

Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal as I am learning that this is somewhat common, but being that this is a job for another EC there's more of an emphasis of doing a good job as to not alter the other EC's good reputation.

bradleyelectric

it would definitely take longer than the time it takes you to put the ladder back on your truck, and you worry about getting paid for that time, correct? :grin:;)

Ah, In MD I'm still allowed to talk on the phone while I drive!! Therefore, it doesn't take any time what so ever to fulfill my civic duty to act like a reasonable human being ;)

bradleyelectric

I don't think it's really that big of a deal. I could have called the other guys back but I didn't. Whoopdeedo. I did thank them when they came out and as far as I am concerned that's enough. None of them followed up with me either. I guess they didn't really want the job. ;) I could count on my two hands the number of times I have received calls telling me I didn't get the job. It just doesn't happen. If that's sad or not I don't know but it is the way it is.

Hey maybe I'll send them a card. It will have a picture of my new driveway on the front :D

9 pavers were here
9 pavers came through
one paver got the job
too bad it wasn't you

Merry Christmas!

I see nothing wrong with if they don't follow back you don't either. They were the 1's trying to sell the job not you. Save the stamp.

zappy

Seems like your too thin skinned to be in business. :confused:

I have to have my driveway done as well, my plan is to mail out to a bunch of contractors, pictures, a print with rough dimensions and my specifications and invite these folks to bid. I will not hide the fact I am getting a bunch of estimates. Any of these people can just toss my invitation to bid in the trash and I would not expect them to call me even though I wasted my time and money sending them the invitation.

If they feel they have to come to the house to look at the job they can do that as well but there is nothing wrong with me looking for the best price.

You should put on there "$10.00 to come bid my job. And the best guy gets the job AND gets his $10.00 back" See what happens:D

hardworkingstiff

George

George

I'd send one more email:

Mr Customer:

Your lack of response gives me the impression you have decided to use someone else. If you are using someone else, I wonder if you would be kind enough to share the reasons why. I'm asking this favor of you to help me understand what I could have done better to have been selected to help you on your project. Please don't worry about hurting my feelings, operating a business can be brutal. We strive to learn as much as we can from all of our efforts, including the time we spend with no return on our investment. Your response will help us become better and maybe we can work together on a future project.

Best regards,
George

electricmanscott

I'd send one more email:

Mr Customer:

Your lack of response gives me the impression you have decided to use someone else. If you are using someone else, I wonder if you would be kind enough to share the reasons why. I'm asking this favor of you to help me understand what I could have done better to have been selected to help you on your project. Please don't worry about hurting my feelings, operating a business can be brutal. We strive to learn as much as we can from all of our efforts, including the time we spend with no return on our investment. Your response will help us become better and maybe we can work together on a future project.

Best regards,
George

Delete. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd send one more email:

Mr Customer:

Best regards,
George
You might add asking what the winning bid price was, and whether it was the (or the only) deciding factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.