Would you consider this a conflict - Art 517

Status
Not open for further replies.
The definition of

Patient Bed Location. The location of a patient sleeping bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area.

Critical Care Areas. Those special care units, intensive care units, coronary care units, angiography laboratories, cardiac catheterization laboratories, delivery rooms, operating rooms, and similar areas in which patients are intended to be subjected to invasive procedures and connected to line-operated, electromedical devices.

517.18 General Care Areas.
(B) Patient Bed Location Receptacles.
This section requires Hospital Grade receptacles. Yet, Patient Bed Locations by definition are located in Critical Care Areas, not General Care Locations.

How is this not a conflict?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The definition of

Patient Bed Location. The location of a patient sleeping bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area.

Critical Care Areas. Those special care units, intensive care units, coronary care units, angiography laboratories, cardiac catheterization laboratories, delivery rooms, operating rooms, and similar areas in which patients are intended to be subjected to invasive procedures and connected to line-operated, electromedical devices.

This section requires Hospital Grade receptacles. Yet, Patient Bed Locations by definition are located in Critical Care Areas, not General Care Locations.

A Patient Bed Location can be both in a critical care area and a general care area.

hurk27

The definition of

It all depends upon what the area is classified as, not what the room is for. see the red below:

Patient Bed Location. The location of an inpatient sleeping bed; or the bed or procedure table used in a critical patient care area.

Patient Care Area. Any portion of a health care facility wherein patients are intended to be examined or treated. Areas of a health care facility in which patient care is administered are classified as general care areas or critical care areas, either of which may be classified as a wet location. The governing body of the facility designates these areas in accordance with the type of patient care anticipated and with the following definitions of the area classification.

FPN: Business offices, corridors, lounges, day rooms, dining rooms, or similar areas typically are not classified as patient care areas.

General Care Areas. Patient bedrooms, examining rooms, treatment rooms, clinics, and similar areas in which it is intended that the patient will come in contact with ordinary appliances such as a nurse call system, electrical beds, examining lamps, telephone, and entertainment devices. In such areas, it may also be intended that patients be connected to electromedical devices (such as heating pads, electrocardiographs, drainage pumps, monitors, otoscopes, ophthalmoscopes, intravenous lines, etc.).

Wet Locations. Those patient care areas that are normally subject to wet conditions while patients are present. These include standing fluids on the floor or drenching of the work area, either of which condition is intimate to the patient or staff. Routine housekeeping procedures and incidental spillage of liquids do not define a wet location.

steve066

Pierre:

It's all in how you read the sentance. The "critical care area" phrase only applies to the last part of the sentance. The comma basically breaks the sentance into two separate sentances.

So a patient bed location is:

A patient sleeping bed in EITHER a general care area or a critical care area,

OR

a bed or procedure table in a critical care area.

So hospital grade is needed in both sleeping areas and critical care areas.

Hope that helps:

Steve

benaround

The definition of

Pierre, IMO, Patient Bed Location: The location of a patient sleeping bed, (or) the bed or

procedure table of a critical care area.

General Care Areas: Patient bedrooms, etc., etc. from the definitions section of 517

Pierre:

It's all in how you read the sentance. The "critical care area" phrase only applies to the last part of the sentance. The comma basically breaks the sentance into two separate sentances.

So a patient bed location is:

A patient sleeping bed in EITHER a general care area or a critical care area,

OR

a bed or procedure table in a critical care area.

So hospital grade is needed in both sleeping areas and critical care areas.

Hope that helps:

Steve

Steve
Sometimes the simple stuff right in our face escapes us. Thanks for pointing that out, I missed the comma.

With that said, I have a question about dental chair locations.

Would the definition then mean that the dental chair does not fall under Patient Bed Location and Hospital Grade receptacles are not required in those locations?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Steve
Sometimes the simple stuff right in our face escapes us. Thanks for pointing that out, I missed the comma.

With that said, I have a question about dental chair locations.

Would the definition then mean that the dental chair does not fall under Patient Bed Location and Hospital Grade receptacles are not required in those locations?

How is this for a non-answer:

If the chair is a ciritical care location, HG is required. If the chair is general care, HG is not required.

Trying to find out if it is critical care or not can be the impossible part. I think someone from the facility (one of the dentists??) is supposed to determine that. As a designer, if I ever ask "Is it critical or general care?" I usually always get a blank stare.

But, if they use any anestheia, I think it is definately critical care.

Steve

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Steve

Sometimes it drives me crazy the way the code authors will insert a phrase after a list of items. Sometimes it is impossible to tell what they really mean.

IMO, it would be much clearer if they used lettered lists more often. As in:

"Patitent bed locations are:
a......
or
b.....

That would eliminate any possiblity of confusion, but the book would probably get a lot thicker:)

eprice

I don't think a dental chair would be a patient bed location, so 517.18(B) would not apply. However, if nitrous oxide is used, then 517.61(C)(2) would apply, and the "hospital grade" receptacles would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.