Chiropractor, 517.13?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Starting one today with a few 'exam' rooms. I have never been to one and don't know what type of equipment they use, if any. After reading old threads on the subject it would appear these rooms don't meet the following definitions.

Patient Care Area. Any portion of a health care facility wherein patients are intended to be examined or treated. Areas of a health care facility in which patient care is administered are classified as general care areas or critical care areas. The governing body of the facility designates these areas in accordance with the type of patient care anticipated and with the following definitions of the area classification.
FPN: Business offices, corridors, lounges, day rooms, dining rooms, or similar areas typically are not classified as patient care areas.

General Care Areas. Patient bedrooms, examining rooms, treatment rooms, clinics, and similar areas in which it is intended that the patient will come in contact with ordinary appliances such as a nurse call system, electric beds, examining lamps, telephones, and entertainment devices. [99, 2005]
What do you think?

elohr46

Starting one today with a few 'exam' rooms. I have never been to one and don't know what type of equipment they use, if any. After reading old threads on the subject it would appear these rooms don't meet the following definitions.

What do you think?

I've been to one chiropractor that used an electrical stimulator to relax the spastic muscle area. I would say that qualifies the same as a Dentist or Doctor office.

I've been to one chiropractor that used an electrical stimulator to relax the spastic muscle area. I would say that qualifies the same as a Dentist or Doctor office.

And some have electrical beds - moving the bed into certain positions.
I would say this falls under the definition of Health Care Facility, and Patient Care Area-General Care Areas.

Not the whole office, the exam rooms, yes.

RICK NAPIER

In New Jersey it is the licensing requirements of the Depart of Health that decides if it is healthcare facility and chiroprators office is not considered a healthcare facility.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is it a "healthcare facility"

Good question.
The NEC definition includes areas where "nursing......... or surgical care are provided" and includes "nursing homes" in it's definitions. Yet I see engineered plans often for nursing homes and Art 517 is not applied. In one definition, Chiropractors, are described as doctors of chiropractic or chiropractic physicians.
So we have a doctor practicing in a facility that provides medical care. Difficult not to call, it a Health Care Facility.
But, that's one opinion.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree with Gus. Chiropractors call themselves doctors. IMO, I have no doubt its a healthcare facility and branch circuits should include a green ground conductor, and should be in a metal raceway.

But it's probably not critical care, so you wouldn't need HG receptacles, or emergency power (except for the egress lights).

Steve

david

Hospital-grade receptacles are required in general care patient bed locations.

Egress lighting is up to the building department
And as far as EM lighting and Power its up to the management of the health care facility
III. Essential Electrical System
517.25 Scope.
This includes clinics, medical and dental offices, outpatient facilities, nursing homes, limited care facilities, hospitals, and other health care facilities serving patients.
517.45 Essential Electrical Systems for Other Health Care Facilities.
(A) Essential Electrical Distribution. The essential electrical distribution system shall be a battery or generator system.

Essential Electrical System. A system comprised of alternate sources of power and all connected distribution systems and ancillary equipment, designed to ensure continuity of electrical power to designated areas and functions of a health care facility during disruption of normal power sources, and also to minimize disruption within the internal wiring system. [99:3.3.44]

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Yes but not all of the facilty needs redundant ground. What is at question here is what electrical equipment if any is used on the patient. Not a simple answer and major cost differance.

I never said that all of the facility needed a redundant ground.:roll:

I stated that IMHO a chiropratic clinic/office with exam rooms was a health care facility.

517.13 applys to patient care areas of a health care facility.

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Hospital-grade receptacles are required in general care patient bed locations.

This wouldn't be a patient bed location, so HG is not required. Patient bed locations include either patient sleeping beds and critical care procedure tables. Not a general exam or treatment table.

Egress lighting is up to the building department
And as far as EM lighting and Power its up to the management of the health care facility
III. Essential Electrical System
517.25 Scope.
This includes clinics, medical and dental offices, outpatient facilities, nursing homes, limited care facilities, hospitals, and other health care facilities serving patients.
517.45 Essential Electrical Systems for Other Health Care Facilities.
(A) Essential Electrical Distribution. The essential electrical distribution system shall be a battery or generator system.

Essential Electrical System. A system comprised of alternate sources of power and all connected distribution systems and ancillary equipment, designed to ensure continuity of electrical power to designated areas and functions of a health care facility during disruption of normal power sources, and also to minimize disruption within the internal wiring system. [99:3.3.44]

But 517.44 says equipment with self contained batteries is sufficient:

...other health care facilities meeting the requirment of 517.45 shall be permitted to usa a battery system or other self-contained battery integral with the equipment.

Steve

elohr46

In New Jersey it is the licensing requirements of the Depart of Health that decides if it is healthcare facility and chiroprators office is not considered a healthcare facility.

Wow, no license needed to be a Chiroprator in NJ, that's unbelievable. The people who made that decision must not have any health insurance.

I would say yes.

A chiropractor would diagnose, treat and attempt to cure a patient.

Chris

Attempt is a great choice for the wording, especially in my case.

About 10 years ago I was referenced to the "best" chiropractor in the County.
He proceded to put me in such pain, that an ambulance had to take me to the hospital. I was out of work for weeks. As you can imagine, I have not been too any chiropractor since. I learned from the doctor at the hospital, that physical therapist who performs massage therapy is the best medicine for some back injuries/issues.

Back to the OP

"And some have electrical beds - moving the bed into certain positions.
I would say this falls under the definition of Health Care Facility, and Patient Care Area-General Care Areas.

Not the whole office, the exam rooms, yes. "

My original Statement. I still believe that taking Xrays, applying electro therapy and the electromechanical beds, coupled with the type of practice (qualified under Medicine), makes the rooms General Care Areas of a healthcare facility.

If the governing body of a jurisdiction says otherwise (as we heard from NJ), so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.