This Old House unsafe practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In this This Old House video "How to Install a Pendant Light" the electrician replaces the the two gang box with a three gang box using drywall screws through the side of the box. You can tell it's a nail-on box with the nail brackets sawn off. What a hack!

And what is so bad about using a plastic box like that. Are you saying it violates the ul listing.
I see this done all the time. I have yet to see a inpector have issue with this. I personally like the new style Alington one box with the angled screw holders. The sometimes get in the way when you install bulky dimmers though.

electricmanscott

That's the new season project house and not one of their DIY shows. Those are all contractors doing the work. Their DIY shows will have the HO helping out a bit.

For what it's worth I have had the pleasure? of fixing that guys screw ups and have seen lots of his work. It is what you would expect based on that episode.

CopperTone

we always make up the splices live but always wear insulated rubber gloves to do it - even on a fiberglass ladder. I think that is dumb to touch those wires without any protection.

dpeter

Occupation
elevator mechanic / building maintenance
I also saw that and thought to myself what a disservice to the safety of those that do not know better. At some point the "electrician" will reap what he sows and I hope he lives to learn from it, but what most made me angry was that he put the host of the show in serious harm without his knowledge. I can't imagine standing face to face with that potential disaster without the proper protection.

JFletcher

What they were showing is a major OSHA violation.

Chris

Which violation? Working hot is the biggy, but no PPE too. I may be mistaken, but I thought that after 8 or 10' the ladder has to be tied to the building and/or a safety harness worn.

Bringing a metal ladder anywhere near overhead powerlines is none too bright either, even for observational purposes.

lakee911 mentioned bypassing the meter - are there any conditions where that is legal? Can one get billing waivers/special permits or something similar from the poco to do that?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i can't believe this argument continues. lets also start a petition to take any show that reveals how to put bullets in a gun off the air. because they're teaching people how to kill themselves.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
i can't believe this argument continues. lets also start a petition to take any show that reveals how to put bullets in a gun off the air. because they're teaching people how to kill themselves.

I am a member of an amateur radio operator forum. There are shows on TV about storm chasers. Some of the shows seem to indicate that the radio operators are violating FCC laws. Others show traffic laws being violated.

The practice of glorifying risks on TV is prevalent in any activity that has risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.