2 Pole Arc Fault Breaker Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aptman3

Hello all, I recently ran into a square D homeline panel. A previous electrician who is not finishing the job ran a 12/3 homerun to the bedrooms upstairs. I thought it was no big deal until I discovered that Square D does not make a 2 Pole Arc Fault breaker. Only single poles. Is their any other option for me? I never interchange brands of breakers, but is their an alternative besides running 2 separate 12/2's?

laketime

2008 code calls for breakers feeding a multiple hot romex (12/3) to have the handles tied together. Buy (2) single pole breakers and a handle tie.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
2008 code calls for breakers feeding a multiple hot romex (12/3) to have the handles tied together. Buy (2) single pole breakers and a handle tie.

Then he won't be able to use arc-fault breakers.

Sorry, aptman3, you'll need to pull another 12-2 unless you plan on changing the whole panel.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
does anyone make a 2-pole AFCI yet?

might look into a 2-space panel if so . . . otherwise, . . . . more cabling needed.

sparky_magoo

I have used 14/4 made for AFCI ckt.s in the past. The second white wire has a red stripe. Two wires stay in the first box and the other two splice to a 14/2 and continue to the first box on the second ckt.

I assume they make 12/4 as well, just watch your box fill.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
With all the lighting, and electronics they use in bedrooms today that may present a load problem.
Given that this is a Dwelling, the load calculation that is the minimum required can result in what some installers will claim is "overloaded". 2008 NEC 90.1(B) is a really strange statement to wrap one's thinking around.

Until aptman3 gives us actual loading descriptions for the:
. . . 12/3 homerun to the bedrooms upstairs. . . .
we have open conjecture on what may or may not be a good solution.

satcom

Given that this is a Dwelling, the load calculation that is the minimum required can result in what some installers will claim is "overloaded". 2008 NEC 90.1(B) is a really strange statement to wrap one's thinking around.

Until aptman3 gives us actual loading descriptions for the: we have open conjecture on what may or may not be a good solution.

One thing for sure, putting both circuits, on one breaker, will not improve anything. The number one service call item we have is overloaded branch circuits.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
One thing for sure, putting both circuits, on one breaker, will not improve anything. The number one service call item we have is overloaded branch circuits.
I dunno, . . .

The comment that caught my eye was:
. . . A previous electrician who is not finishing the job ran a 12/3 homerun . . .
There's probably a back story there. And 12/3 for an AFCI homerun? I can easily suspect some "less than conventional" installation . . . too many possibilities. It would be better for aptman3 to give a few load details rather than imagine all the ways the situation might be better or worse.

Personally, I'd be interested in the square footage of floor area covered by the outlets on the 12/3, and what the 12/3 connected lighting load actually is, along with any other non-receptacle 12/3 connected Utilization Equipment.

aptman3

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. I found out that the guy who had done most of the job was just a handy man. I am also finding more and more goofy things around needing fixing. I think the easiest way is to just add a small sub-panel with a CH 2-Pole Arc Fault.

satcom

I dunno, . . .

The comment that caught my eye was: There's probably a back story there. And 12/3 for an AFCI homerun? I can easily suspect some "less than conventional" installation . . . too many possibilities. It would be better for aptman3 to give a few load details rather than imagine all the ways the situation might be better or worse.

Personally, I'd be interested in the square footage of floor area covered by the outlets on the 12/3, and what the 12/3 connected lighting load actually is, along with any other non-receptacle 12/3 connected Utilization Equipment.

Yes the 12/3 got my attention also, a lot of side job guys, just assume bigger is better!

Status
Not open for further replies.