red fire alarm cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw0486

Does anyone know of any code restriction that would not allow the use of red plenum rated fire alarm cable to be used for low voltage lighting. I believe this would be a local jurisdiction restriction.

raider1

Staff member
If the low voltage lighting is a listed lighting system operating at 30 volts or less the Article 411 applies.

411.5(D) deals with insulated conductors of the secondary circuits.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
this doesnt say anything about color

IMHO the red color is not an issue, the issue is making sure that the cable has the proper listing for the application. For example if the low voltage lighting system is a class 2 system and the fire alarm cable is a listed class 2 cable and is installed in accordance with Parts I and III of Article 725 then it would be OK.

Chris

nhfire77

No you could have it yellow, or purple or white.... Execept in Rhode Island the individual conductors are some arbatrary system.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
IMHO the red color is not an issue, the issue is making sure that the cable has the proper listing for the application. For example if the low voltage lighting system is a class 2 system and the fire alarm cable is a listed class 2 cable and is installed in accordance with Parts I and III of Article 725 then it would be OK.

Chris

I would agree for a building that doesn't have a fire alarm. But if the same cable is used in the same building for fire alarm wiring, aren't we defeating the purpose of making the fire alarm cable readily identifiable??

raider1

Staff member
I would agree for a building that doesn't have a fire alarm. But if the same cable is used in the same building for fire alarm wiring, aren't we defeating the purpose of making the fire alarm cable readily identifiable??

You make a very good point.:)

Chris

nhfire77

No. Regardless of the color the ul
listing requires the cable to be marked type fpl fplp dole every few feet. If you only base the indentify a cable or wire that's foolish. Isn't 10% of men color blind?

Fire alarm cables are not required to be red, unless it is a local code.

I am going to shoot from the hip and say it is not permitted.

The change in Article 411 is not a wholesale change permitting just any Chapter 725 cable for these applications. One is also required to apply Table 11A from Chapter 9. There is more to this than just the cable type, the overcurrent protection is very specific.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Fire alarm cables are not required to be red, unless it is a local code.

I am going to shoot from the hip and say it is not permitted.

The change in Article 411 is not a wholesale change permitting just any Chapter 725 cable for these applications. One is also required to apply Table 11A from Chapter 9. There is more to this than just the cable type, the overcurrent protection is very specific.
I don't see how Chaper 9, T11A enters into this. That table shows the ratings for the power supply. If the power supply is a listed Class 2 power supply as required by 411.3(B) there is no reason to look at T11A

Status
Not open for further replies.