800amp panel install

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpjaj5

Installed this in San Francisco and thought everybody would appreciate a clean install. Also, the purple is code for the stinger leg in San Francisco.
Thanks!!

257oh35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Kraemer

I thought the NEC required the "high leg" on a 120/240 volt 3 phase 4 wire delta service to be marked with orange tape?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Nice job, maybe it's just the photo but the green conductor on/in the 800 amp feeder conduit seems rather small.

257oh35.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Is this complete?

It looks like it's missing the feeder but I see no place to land one.

Or the breaker is backward and the conductors are undersized.

ohmhead

Well most Cutler Hammer panels breakers come that way its just what they have from the factory just swap labels breakers work any direction . look at the 800 amp on the left same breaker the black stubs are your breaker buss stand offs and the only problem i have with the install is the size of the conduit and the size of the wire ? more than three is it a nipple ?
P1010042_03.jpg

In orlando the city makes us use purple also and there is no color in the code unless its a high leg nice looking job SF CAL .

Were not done yet

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Well most Cutler Hammer panels breakers come that way its just what they have from the factory just swap labels breakers work any direction .

You cannot 'swap the labels' you may be able to spin the breaker around.

Per the UL white book breakers with line and load marked must be used that way.

ohmhead

You cannot 'swap the labels' you may be able to spin the breaker around.

Per the UL white book breakers with line and load marked must be used that way.

Well sure you can but we do not change the factory install they are installed that way all the time and its ok per the factory we asked .

We do a lot of cutler hammer stuff and most 1200 or 800 amp panel boards are just that way from them there magnetic breakers it doesnt matter which way you tap per cutler hammer now its different with electronic trips or micro logic but were talking a simple magnetic breaker here .

We never touch there install and its not installed wrong thats the way they come .

iwire

Staff member
Well sure you can but we do not change the factory install they are installed that way all the time and its ok per the factory we asked .

We do a lot of cutler hammer stuff and most 1200 or 800 amp panel boards are just that way from them there magnetic breakers it doesnt matter which way you tap per cutler hammer now its different with electronic trips or micro logic but were talking a simple magnetic breaker here .

We never touch there install .

I believe that the factory installed it that way.

I also believe the factory rep may have said not to worry about it.

All that said it is still an NEC violation and it should not pass inspection.

Not all breakers work 'both ways' and other then the labeling line and load we in the field have no idea which breakers work both ways and which do not.

Cavie

Well most Cutler Hammer panels breakers come that way its just what they have from the factory just swap labels breakers work any direction . look at the 800 amp on the left same breaker the black stubs are your breaker buss stand offs and the only problem i have with the install is the size of the conduit and the size of the wire ? more than three is it a nipple ?
P1010042_03.jpg

In orlando the city makes us use purple also and there is no color in the code unless its a high leg nice looking job SF CAL .

Were not done yet

It no wonder the apprentice have trouble understanding this stuff when you see something like that. Personally I wouldn't do it.

iwire

Staff member
From the UL white book

CIRCUIT BREAKERS, MOLDED-CASE AND
CIRCUIT BREAKER ENCLOSURES (DIVQ)

INSTALLATION

Line and load markings on a circuit breaker are intended to limit connections thereto as marked.

ohmhead

Well i dont think you understand this but its a factory screw up on the label only and cover plate so we get a letter from the CH factory which covers us in the engineer part of this issue.

They would have to come out and change the breaker or label but electrically its fine its just not your normal way you see a breaker in a panel .

We will not touch there stuff its a ul thing and were not paid to fix it so if they come up with a letter from the cutler hammer plant thats says its ok its ok with our inspector and we pass.

Since they write the white pages its ok

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
rpjaj5, as a "newer" member, I hope you had browsed enough to expect your work to be "scrutinized". Your post and work is appreciated and our nature is to look at everything with a fine tooth comb with the intent on pointing out areas that where there is a possible need for improvement.
In this manner we all learn. It's the positive side of the Forum.
My comments align with others, IMHO, the back-fed breaker being labeled "load" is a violation despite what the factory advises per the UL info Bob posted, and, it does appear that the bonding jumper to the service lines is undersized (250.102) .

Status
Not open for further replies.