Plastic bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I guess I've been wasting money on bushings. I put them on any fitting 3/4" and above. That's the way my old boss taught me and it stuck.

tkb

Yes I agree. We've used metallic bushings with a one locknut on the outside for years.

I haven't looked it up, but I think that only good until you go over 250 volts to ground, then you need double locknuts.

Maybe i did not get the question across right.I was saying,do you think one bushing would be sufficient on the end your feeding the wire in too.I mean what is the purpose when the wire is not moving against the connector?

iwire

Staff member
Maybe i did not get the question across right.I was saying,do you think one bushing would be sufficient on the end your feeding the wire in too.I mean what is the purpose when the wire is not moving against the connector?

No, as has been said if a bushing is required at all, it is required at all ends. The NEC does not care which end you feeding the wires into.

The good it does has to do with not letting the conduit or fitting from cutting into a conductor that is pressing against it. After a long period of time it could press through the insulation after many heating and cooling cycles.

dduffee260

We put plastic bushings mostly on 1" to maybe 1 1/4". On most anything 1 1/2" and up, it depends on what we are doing. We use metal bushings, grounding bushings where they are required. On anything 3" and 4" we use metal bushings period. Do you know how expensive it can get to lose a 2000 amp service because you wanted to save $20 on the pull box and $4 on a bushing?

I know of a contractor who blew up 2 services of 2000 amps because of this very reason. These were not short runs either, they were prabably 140ft runs each time, on the same service even. I bet that larger pull box and metal bushings were not near as expensive as the service repull on this. Too many times I have seen 500 kcmil pulled at an angle where it bends the plastic bushing to the point of breaking then the wire rubs and you get a fault. Come on someone, think about what you are doing before you try to save money.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... On anything 3" and 4" we use metal bushings period. Do you know how expensive it can get to lose a 2000 amp service because you wanted to save $20 on the pull box and $4 on a bushing? ...
I hope the metal bushings have an insulated insert as that is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.