Brother just called, he got shocked by a drop cord on a GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
That's interesting. I guess I'll have to get a precision 24 kOhm resistor and try it out.

Thanks,

Mark

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
091228-0942 EST

Busman:

With 25.5 K a sample Leviton does not trip in many seconds. With 20.5 K the trip time was maybe 0.5 to 1 second.

I think the standard permits a "no trip" if the fault current is less than 6mA and requires a "no trip" with the fault less than 4mA. With the 20.5 K load, the standard would permit a trip time of up to 5.78 seconds, but would also permit a "no trip".

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I was basing my experience on the GFCI test button on my fluke T+ Pro which has the following rating:

GFCI Test current
100 V - 150 V @ 6 mA - 9 mA ac, 150 V - 240 V < 12 mA
and it trips any GFCI I ever stuck it in so fast that it seems instantaneous. More research may be required.

Mark

480sparky

you're joking, right??...........

No, he's not. GFIs cannot tell the difference between a load (a toaster, a night light, a cell-phone charger, whatever) between the hot and neutral and a human body between the hot and neutral. It sees both as a normal load.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
you're joking, right??

and..
GFCI's do not prevent shocks, they merely limit the duration of a shock.
No I am not joking....the shock has to happen before the GFCI acts. It does not prevent the shock...it limits it to a time that will not cause serious harm to most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.