gfcis downstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
sorry guys! i mean't regular grounded receptacles downstream of a gfci receptacle. we have a local inspector not allowing a grounded receptacle downstream of a gfci receptacle to protect a garage door opener

That inspector might be having an issue with the Garage door opener not being on it's own circuit. If it is being fed by a GFCI somewhere else in the garage then it is obvious it's not on a dedicated circuit. Depending on the current draw of the opener it would could be required to be on it's own circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That inspector might be having an issue with the Garage door opener not being on it's own circuit. If it is being fed by a GFCI somewhere else in the garage then it is obvious it's not on a dedicated circuit. Depending on the current draw of the opener it would could be required to be on it's own circuit.
That would be an unusual garage door that needed it own circuit. That would mean the motor would have to pull more than 7.5 amps for a 15 amp circuit to require a sep. cir. art 210.23(A)(2).

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
When you wire a 4-5 bathroom house, one bath circuit, Do you put a GFI in each bathroom? Or only in the first one and load wire the rest?

Do you actually wire a house this way? I suppose saving a 100 bucks during construction but 4-5 baths on a single 20 amp circuit. BOY if i bought that house and I tripped the breaker I'd be pissed. This is outright stupid. A house with 4-5 baths you could expect 2 or more people blow drying your hair at the same time. Not a very practical installation but probably NEC compliant. That EC would not be doing that anymore after the wrath from me. Compliant yes but certainly not fit for the intended purpose.

roger3829

Do you actually wire a house this way? I suppose saving a 100 bucks during construction but 4-5 baths on a single 20 amp circuit. BOY if i bought that house and I tripped the breaker I'd be pissed. This is outright stupid. A house with 4-5 baths you could expect 2 or more people blow drying your hair at the same time. Not a very practical installation but probably NEC compliant. That EC would not be doing that anymore after the wrath from me. Compliant yes but certainly not fit for the intended purpose.

Remember the purpose of the code......... 90.1(B)........not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service........:)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Remember the purpose of the code......... 90.1(B)........not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service........:)

I've seen many a spec on plans that call for a " wire as intended for use clause"
It is very vauge but here in california and all the Lawers they probably could make a case if you wired all 4-5 baths with one 20 amp circuit.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I got this instruction from SQUARE-D GFCI breaker package. It does not address the OP question but it is good information. I confirmed it with the SD website.

? Do not connect circuit breaker to
more than 250 ft. (76 m) of load
conductor for the total one-way run.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I got this instruction from SQUARE-D GFCI breaker package. It does not address the OP question but it is good information. I confirmed it with the SD website.

• Do not connect circuit breaker to
more than 250 ft. (76 m) of load
conductor for the total one-way run.

Yes that is what I was alluding to in my post but I hadn't realized the instructions actually stated it.

As many as you like however you may want to keep the total distance under control. I have heard that long distance from the GFCI to the last outlet may cause some issues

Status
Not open for further replies.