Lost tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockin

That describes an employee you need to get rid of before he takes your company down with his bad judgment or ignorance or inattention
[/QUOTE]

I don't live in a glass house for good reason. I freely admit I made mistakes. What is important is that I learn from them and don't repeat them.

shockin

By the same note though on one job, while working for another contractor an electrician didn't tie the ground conductor to the pulling head well enough. The wire came off in the pipe, it bunched up and stopped the pull. It cost thousands pulling four 500 MCM wires back out of the pipe, scraping all of the wire and then having to spend the time repulling the wire. A big mistake but still a mistake. Live and learn.

According to some on this forum that person needs to be fired immediaty for his inattention to detail. They would also tell you the now ex-employee should re-imburse the comany for the loss of profits.

I disagree!

satcom

According to some on this forum that person needs to be fired immediaty for his inattention to detail. They would also tell you the now ex-employee should re-imburse the comany for the loss of profits.

I disagree!

Just getting him off the company payroll will more then pay back any losses he may create in the future if he was allowed to continue with employment.

shockin

Just getting him off the company payroll will more then pay back any losses he may create in the future if he was allowed to continue with employment.

But why stop there. If you just fired ALL of your employees you would ensure that nobody ever make a mistake again that would cost you money. Just think of all the profit you would be making then.

On a serious note, you must go thru a ton of 1st year apprentices if you fire them every time they make a mistake.

benaround

I'll bet he wasn't getting a dime for lugging the tools and ladder around in his personal

truck. For the guys who would fire him, what is the secret to being perfect anyway ?

satcom

But why stop there. If you just fired ALL of your employees you would ensure that nobody ever make a mistake again that would cost you money. Just think of all the profit you would be making then.

On a serious note, you must go thru a ton of 1st year apprentices if you fire them every time they make a mistake.

We never had those problems with any of our employees, I guess we are a bit carefull of who we select to work with us, or just lucky, every apprentence that worked with us got their masters and some stayed with us and a few went on their own, and are doing very well.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'll bet he wasn't getting a dime for lugging the tools and ladder around in his personal

truck. For the guys who would fire him, what is the secret to being perfect anyway ?

Kind of my point, but I knew I was gonna take a hit(s) when I posted. Sometimes you just have to throw your self on that grenade.:)

satcom

Kind of my point, but I knew I was gonna take a hit(s) when I posted. Sometimes you just have to throw your self on that grenade.:)

We just do not run into situations like that, none of our employees are allowed to use their personal trucks to avoid liability issues.

jes25

There is a such thing as a deduction. Which would come off of gross revenue.

I know nobody cares, but in terms of accounting a revenue account can not be affected by a lost tool any incurred expense. Income yes, but not revenue.

Last edited:

growler

I wouldn't fire anyone over a single mistake but if a guy makes a habbit about being careless with tools and equipment then I would get rid of him ( he might get himself killed on the clock and that's not good) .

If I were the employee in this case I would go to the boss and tell him I lost his threader due to the fact that I was careless and offer to buy him another used theader ( if it wasn't new). I thinks that's fair and if the original threader ever turns up then I would keep the tool. I could probably come up with another used threader for around $300 on Ebay and since I'm such a stand up guy the boss could let me work a little overtime to help out and no one really has to be out that much.

The idea is to take big problems and turn them into small problems and not the other way around. If you seek a solution and wish to be fair a solution can always be found.

satcom

I wouldn't fire anyone over a single mistake but if a guy makes a habbit about being careless with tools and equipment then I would get rid of him ( he might get himself killed on the clock and that's not good) .

If I were the employee in this case I would go to the boss and tell him I lost his threader due to the fact that I was careless and offer to buy him another used theader ( if it wasn't new). I thinks that's fair and if the original threader ever turns up then I would keep the tool. I could probably come up with another used threader for around $300 on Ebay and since I'm such a stand up guy the boss could let me work a little overtime to help out and no one really has to be out that much.

The idea is to take big problems and turn them into small problems and not the other way around. If you seek a solution and wish to be fair a solution can always be found.

I think most of us would take an approach like this.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
We had a "left the tailgate open" experience. The rookie swore he slammed the heck out of the tailgate when he closed it.

There was a lot of stuff in that bed, and it was a long ride back to the shop.

We were discovering our loss(es) over the next week.

Oh damn!!! THAT was in the truck too!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.