Old equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

On my current project I have a 2500 amp switch that has more than likely not been operated since it was installed. (1961 at best guess) should I have any concerns about this switch operating (opening and closing ) during a scheduled shutdown? We are removing the current overhead and replacing with underground.

DSCF1791.jpg

DSCF1731.jpg

zog

Well those switches are designed to be maintained every fw years, and it looks like you have a nasty atmosphere there. The old grease we be all dried up you could have some corrosion. Good luck, be sure to suit up.

I have a ton of those if you end up needing any parts.

cadpoint

At first it seemed from the pictures that it's not the same gear from inside to outside. :-?

But the picture and the note on the gear is correct! The service for the buss is hidden in the picture, ok I'll assume. :roll:

Does it ever become a case where the POCO would want to disconnect in front of this gear, and QA their own gear?

It looks like an outer jack on the load side is drooping across a pole.

Zog, do you ever run a chemical test of how these wires have held up if they are removed and the trannie service is reworked?

I guess my questions would be?

What are the properties of the wires, what has changed in respects to the property specifications that existed the
day they were put in, verse how they have held up over the years? Or can we have some or any assumption that
degrading of MV or HV is only environment based, by still electrically stable?

Last edited:

ivsenroute

I would hope that this would be used at a minimum.

Is it possible to have the POCO shut down first to increase safety?

Did you get a look at the conditions of the wires and mechanicals inside?

Was this maintained over the years? Who shut it off last?

Lots to consider on old equipment.

Arc%2520Flash%2520Suit%2520AP.jpg

AV ELECTRIC

I would hope that this would be used at a minimum.

Is it possible to have the POCO shut down first to increase safety?

Did you get a look at the conditions of the wires and mechanicals inside?

Was this maintained over the years? Who shut it off last?

Lots to consider on old equipment.

Arc%2520Flash%2520Suit%2520AP.jpg

I agree if poco can shut you down that would definitely help

brian john

That bolted pressure switch is operated by human effort (no springs), the original grease utilized is petroleum based and seizes. Dirt and dust only contributes to this.

Maintenance by someone familiar with bolted pressure switches is necessary regularly.
Normally I would say get a replacement from the manufacture (Pringle I THINK from the picture) or as this is a stand alone switch a newer style CBC bolted pressure switch would serve all involved better.

charlietuna

1961 sounds NEW to me ! :D

Old is when it will not trip to the open position, and you open it up and find the original manufacturer's trip linkage doesn't operate due to the termites have eaten a wooden dowl which is part of the linkage !

masterinbama

That's why I come here. Most of my large gear experience comes from the local Government installations. But this is my first bolt lock switch of this size that has not been exercised recently.

Last edited:

masterinbama

Notice in this photo it says Main, 2nd floor, 3rd floor, and roof.

DSCF1791.jpg

If you look at this photo the bussing feeds the bolt lock switch, the open conductors above the bussing (the ones going through the red CT's above) feeds the other main in the building. I guess grouping of mains was not that important back then. Just another issue to work out.

DSCF1797.jpg

nhfire77

Unrelated Question

Unrelated Question

Notice in this photo it says Main, 2nd floor, 3rd floor, and roof.

DSCF1791.jpg

If you look at this photo the bussing feeds the bolt lock switch, the open conductors above the bussing (the ones going through the red CT's above) feeds the other main in the building. I guess grouping of mains was not that important back then. Just another issue to work out.

DSCF1797.jpg

Do I spy two GOATS on the bottom of the bottom picture?

What is up with that?

RETRAINDAILY

We always get a waiver signed, on old bolt locks saying we are not responsible for the operation of those things.
In your case I would include that you suggest it be changed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.